Veggie chinese option

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so my family are coming round and they all want chinese. Last 2 times I had chinese my blood sugar went up to 10 mmol, one meal was chowmein and other was curry and chips...
Can any suggest beat veggie options?
I usually can handle quite a few carbs but don’t want blood sugar spikes....I don’t want any meat options

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Choose dishes that are focussed on veg and ask the waiter to not bring you the rice/noodle/chips that usually go with. Get two sets of the veg stuff, plus say an extra or two. Bit more expensive I know, but if you don't go too mad the veg only dishes aren't too costly.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Choose dishes that are focussed on veg and ask the waiter to not bring you the rice/noodle/chips that usually go with. Get two sets of the veg stuff, plus say an extra or two. Bit more expensive I know, but if you don't go too mad the veg only dishes aren't too costly.
We’re ordering a takeaway so having it at home, so something like a veggie curry won’t spike my blood?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I expect it will - the sauces will have soy sauce and thickeners in, but it'll spike it less than rice, noodles or chips would.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I usually find that mushroom chow mien is not too bad, but clearly it affected you differently.
Sauces are the things to try and avoid so possibly try things in a soy rather than say sweet and sour.
Stir fried veg, salt and pepper aubergine?

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so my family are coming round and they all want chinese. Last 2 times I had chinese my blood sugar went up to 10 mmol, one meal was chowmein and other was curry and chips...
Can any suggest beat veggie options?
I usually can handle quite a few carbs but don’t want blood sugar spikes....I don’t want any meat options
When we order western style Chinese I usually get the veggie chow mein made with bean sprouts (no noodles), plus shrimp or scallop stir fry with snap peas (no meat for you), though here you can get stir fried snap peas and assorted veggies/tofu also. None of these cause a significant BG spike for me, but we are all a bit different...

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chop suey may be ok - currys from a Chinese will most definitely be thickened with flour

Veggie foo yung, fried bean sprouts, I had black bean sauce last time and asked them not to add any sugar I was ok with that