Very Confused!!

amy-02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed type 1 diabetic in 2002. I was 12 years old. After being really ill at the start of this year always having low blood sugars and visiting A&E, still having them but not as bad now. I have just found out from a nurse at my new doctors that I’m actually type 2 diabetic, but had been treated as type 1 from 2002. And they thought I was type 1 when first diagnosed just because I was only young. At the moment I’m struggling to get my head round the fact that this could actually happen and had a real impact on my mental health..Anyone else had this situation??
Thanks

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry the doctors misdiagnosed you. I hope someone in the same situation answers you. I know some of the regular weight Type 2s are also misdiagnosed as Type 1 initially.

Unfortunately doctors often misdiagnose based on age. There are a lot of LADAs (latent autoimmune diabetes) and some Type 1s (Theresa May) who are the opposite of you because they were first misdiagnosed as Type 2 because they were older.

There are more and more Type 2s getting the diagnosis at younger ages.

If it's any help, the insulin you received because of the misdiagnosis has probably helped your beta cells in your pancreas keep functioning. Type 2 is heavily diet dependent, eating low carb really helps normalize blood glucose levels. Some Type 2s do need meds or insulin but with low carb eating, many are able to achieve normal blood glucose levels.

I'm tagging @daisy who has a basic information post, the bulk of which applies to Type 2.