very depressed type 2 newly diagnosed

jrs16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I hope its OK that Im writing on behalf of my partner, John. Desperately need advice as he is so very depressed and not eating or exercising. Doesnt sleep much at night either.

Chrys

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear that; it is a bit depressing isn't it. I have no idea how old he is, how bad his diabetes is, what his weight is etc. so difficult to give any advice. However, it is great of you to come on here as there are a lot of lovely people who will give you (and him if he will read it) masses of useful advice. The way to staying healthy, or regaining your health, is to take control of your diabetes rather than letting it take control of you. He is lucky in that you appear to be trying to help him which is great.

Sadly my husband won't alter his diet at all so we cook and eat separately; if I ate what he cooks it would kill me!!! The way to go is low carb, high fat (LCHF) as the low carbs help to keep your blood glucose under control and the high fat stops you feeling hungry. If you give us a lot more details we can all help you as well as giving support to you both.

Please get him to use this forum and take the good advice he will get along with the help his Dr/nurse gives him.

Reactions: 3 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi
I hope its OK that Im writing on behalf of my partner, John. Desperately need advice as he is so very depressed and not eating or exercising. Doesnt sleep much at night either.

Chrys

Hi @jrs16

I remember that during my own pre-diagnosis period, I felt constantly tired, depressed and bad tempered and had no idea what was going on. For me, injecting insulin was like a switch being flicked off - I felt completely different within 24hrs.

I am always concerned when I see posts about depression because many people don't realise the effects that high glucose levels may have on emotional health. Sometimes just realising this might be what's needed to help somebody break the cycle.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Skdiva88_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before I was diagnosed with diabetes I was a huge suffer with depression which lead to anxiety and panic attacks my mood swings where horrendous I could never judge what kind of mood I would be in when I woke up and if I woke up in a good mood 9 times out of 10'half way through the day my mood would change.

One day my mood changed so dramatically I felt like I was having a break down. I couldn't stop historically crying and I just couldn't do anything right. I went straight to my doctor who saw me and sent me off for blood test which then came back positive for diabetes.

Soon after I started on metformin dramatically changed my lifestyle and eating habits, I'm still on a journey getting my bl down but already only in my second week my moods have dramatically changed I'm happier in myself and my depression is so much better.

sorry for the long message. But I thought if I told you my story and you could get your husband to read this that maybe he might see light at the end of his tunnel! I certainly can see it at mine.

Try not to get him to eat a whole meal he genuinely may not feel up to it, so make him meals that are smaller and not so hard to face. Something you know he enjoys but maybe cooked in a healthier way! (Assuming it isn't already)

I really hope he comes onto the form. More then happy to speak with him if would like someone to listen, I know my husband was a saint he would listen but I always new that he didn't quite understand where I was coming from. I really hope you can get him on the forum

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Chichi1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi skdiva - your post was interesting.

For a while I've had similar fatigue you described amongst the mood swings etc.

I was "diagnosed" Saturday just gone and prescribed some metfomin, however I have not started taking this as of yet I was waiting until I read up on these pills online to see what they put in those things, and possibly start tomorrow.

I captioned diagnosed because all my doctor said is its probable I am diabetic. He didn't say what type and gave me a per option and set me up with a diabetic test with nurses for in 3 weeks to check the nerves in my feet etc.

Is this when I know what type I am? Looking online I am presuming type 2 I am.

How did you feel taking the pills and in what way did they make you feel better.

The GP said I will be on these pills forever but I am now planning a low carb diet with regular gym exercise to hope fully get myself well. (Is this even possible) so I can come off the pills down the line.

I'm very nervous about taking them. I feel like once I do there's no return?!?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was "diagnosed" Saturday just gone and prescribed some metfomin, however I have not started taking this as of yet I was waiting until I read up on these pills online to see what they put in those things, and possibly start tomorrow.

I captioned diagnosed because all my doctor said is its probable I am diabetic. He didn't say what type and gave me a per option and set me up with a diabetic test with nurses for in 3 weeks to check the nerves in my feet etc.

Is this when I know what type I am?
Was your GP's diagnosis as a result of symptoms or a full blood test? If you haven't had a full blood test the appointment with the nurse will probably be for the blood test. It is only after a full test that your GP will know your HbA1c (blood sugar) figures and be able to diagnose whether you have diabetes, and what type.

I am not on metafornin, but a lot of people on here are, and it does help. It is also said to strengthen your heart. If you do take it, it doesn't necessarily mean you will be on it forever. You can control your condition if you do have Type 2. Many of us have done that by adopting a Low Carbohydrate (and High Fat) approach to eating.

Skdiva88_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's strange that they have diagnosed you with out even doing any test! I didn't get my metformin until I had seen the my diabetic nurse and then see walked me through the process and what the side effects of the metformin were!
I wasn't give a type until I saw my nurse and it was then when we went through the my symptoms that she said I was type 2.

I wouldn't like to say weather or not to take the metformin! I find it strange that you have been prescribed medication without him really knowing what's wrong with you.

I have no issue taking the pill, I make sure I take it after my meals that way it prevents the sickness, it's made me feel better because it's now stabilised my sl, meaning have slightly more energy, I sleep better and at the right times, and my mood swings have stopped. It's not just all the metformin thou I have also changed my eating habits and now if have junk food (as an example) I can feel the difference and I become stroppy and fatigue. The saying is true you really are what you eat!

I was told I wouldn't be in this pill forever I would be on it for as long as possible to help my sl. The up side to taking them is it helps prevent heart disease x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The GP said I will be on these pills forever but I am now planning a low carb diet with regular gym exercise to hope fully get myself well. (Is this even possible) so I can come off the pills down the line.

The GP needs some T2D re-education...

Chichi1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I called the doctors today to advise what happened/Didn't happen the other day and they have booked me to go in thursdayto speak with another doctor.

Will keep you up to date thank you all for your help :)