Very high blood glucose

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there - wasn't sure where to post this. For the last few weeks my blood sugar has been creeping up. I put it down to eating the wrong things at Christmas, although to be fair I've given myself the right amount of insulin and I've still not seen it below double figures. I'd hoped it was a problem with my meter but I'm getting consistent readings between this and my libre.

Yesterday it was up to 20. Today it's over 23.

I've given myself a load of insulin and it's not gone down yet.

I'm definitely insulin resistant but it's never been this bad before. I've been under the weather (extreme tiredness) for most of December so wonder if I have a virus. I'm also wondering if there's something wrong with my insulin bottle so will be changing that asap.

Apart from that I'm at a loss of what to do.

If I go any higher I'm taking myself to A&E but can anyone offer any insight into what on earth is going on??

Reactions: Canadagal

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Illness and lack of sleep can definitely have an impact. I know from personal experience how much insomnia and stress can raise those levels.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you taking any supps or meds for your illness? Sleeping pills, coAldi medicines? They pump me up.
Personally if it were me I would try to cut much of my food out for a bit and stay lower carb until things settle. Have you changed your diet at all?

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks both that's really helpful. I have been quite stressed and can't remember when I last had a good nights sleep (toddler not sleeping through the night).

Im on insulin and metformin but that's it. I'm planning on starting some supplements to help me feel more alive/energetic, but not done yet. It's been suggested that a vitamin d deficiency might be causing problems, so I'm looking into that too.

I generally eat lower carb, although that's not really helping much these days.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks both that's really helpful. I have been quite stressed and can't remember when I last had a good nights sleep (toddler not sleeping through the night).

Im on insulin and metformin but that's it. I'm planning on starting some supplements to help me feel more alive/energetic, but not done yet. It's been suggested that a vitamin d deficiency might be causing problems, so I'm looking into that too.

I generally eat lower carb, although that's not really helping much these days.
Vitamin D will help. Look into R ALA as well. It’s nothing short of a miracle and a simply powerful antioxidant

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you ever tried magnesium? I read about it and how it can help with sleep, so I started taking it last week. It hasn't really helped with sleep too much, but I'm amazed at how much it's helped my bg numbers. I've pretty much stopped taking insulin at night because of these lows I've been waking up with. And I've cut my metformin dose as well.

I've done more reading on it, and it looks like most people are short on magnesium (because the nutrients just aren't in the soil like they used to be), and diabetics can especially be short on it. I even read an article that listed T2 as a symptom of magnesium deficiency. I've also read that it can help regulate blood sugar, which is certainly the case with me, even after a bad night's sleep. The numbers aren't perfect, but they're certainly close!

My numbers were quite high before, so they might be worth a shot since we're low on it anyway. Try googling magnesium and diabetes and you can read up on it.