Very high blood test 11.4 !

Fluffyfred

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops just ate my first chinese food and bloods were 11.4 ! Any advice?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
More information would help.
What type of diabetic are you?
What medication are you on?

Mark925

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A month ago I attended an appointment with my rhumatologist here in Canada, he did blood work for my uric acid levels and a series of other blood work tests. I left his office and had some errands to do before I made the hour drive home. When I got home there were five phone calls total made to my home, two from my rhumatologist himself, two from my family doctor himself and one from my family doctors receptionist, all calls were the same message “ Mark, when you get this message go directly to the nearest hospital and get your blood sugar tested, your recent blood work came back with a reading of 45 “

I attended our local emergency room, was given intervenous and insulin, I was discharged at a blood sugar reading of 20.

Currently for the last three weeks I am anywhere between 27.5 and 40. My Gloucester monitor goes as high as 33.7 and at most times I can’t even get a reading because my level is higher than the monitor reads.

Can’t stay awake long, unstoppable thirst, dry mouth, tingle in fingers and toes, confusion and just last evening my vision has gone blurry again.

Frequent urination, I have mobility issues so I use a urinal at night, at most nights I fill it between two - four times.

This is very bothersome as I fear for my health with this and other health issues I have including chirosis of the liver, not because of alcohol, more likely a fatty liver.

My family doctor is in his late sixties and he has never seen a reading as high as 45 in his entire profession.

Mark in

Reactions: Philb69

Fluffyfred

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry for the lack of information given as I’m really new to this. Pre diabetes confirmed 2 was ago by gp. I have been really quite good so far even over the Christmas period, but had my first proper chinese and was a bit taken back with the reading, this morning it’s back to 5.5 thankfully. Would this be typical the morning after? also is there any safer option to order from a chinese menu that are maybe not as high in carbs? sorry for all the questions, hope to improve my knowledge in this. x

Reactions: Freema

Fluffyfred

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A month ago I attended an appointment with my rhumatologist here in Canada, he did blood work for my uric acid levels and a series of other blood work tests. I left his office and had some errands to do before I made the hour drive home. When I got home there were five phone calls total made to my home, two from my rhumatologist himself, two from my family doctor himself and one from my family doctors receptionist, all calls were the same message “ Mark, when you get this message go directly to the nearest hospital and get your blood sugar tested, your recent blood work came back with a reading of 45 “

I attended our local emergency room, was given intervenous and insulin, I was discharged at a blood sugar reading of 20.

Currently for the last three weeks I am anywhere between 27.5 and 40. My Gloucester monitor goes as high as 33.7 and at most times I can’t even get a reading because my level is higher than the monitor reads.

Can’t stay awake long, unstoppable thirst, dry mouth, tingle in fingers and toes, confusion and just last evening my vision has gone blurry again.

Frequent urination, I have mobility issues so I use a urinal at night, at most nights I fill it between two - four times.

This is very bothersome as I fear for my health with this and other health issues I have including chirosis of the liver, not because of alcohol, more likely a fatty liver.

My family doctor is in his late sixties and he has never seen a reading as high as 45 in his entire profession.

Mark in

Hi Mark, I’m fairly new to this, but just read your post which is terrible! And i’m a bit worried with my blood glucose reading. Sorry I can’t give any advice to your issues.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Mark in

As advised on another thread, you need to go straight back to your hospital - urgently. Your levels are dangerously high.
Drink loads of water.

Reactions: dbr10

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mark in

I would advice to go straight to hospital.

Your blood glucose readings are way too high and dangerous!

Good luck!

Reactions: dbr10

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

What treatment were you given for your diabetes on discharge from hospital? How have you been treating your diabetes for the last three weeks and what medical advice have you been getting from your doctor? Are you under a GP or an endocrinologist?

RaymondLewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mark in

Hi Mark,

I’m sorry your readings are so high.
It sounds like there is a lot going on inside your systems which may or may not be directly associated with your Diabetes.
Might I suggest you reach out to a Dr Jason Fung who operates in Canada. He has a clinic which deals with health for diabetics and issues with the liver. He might be able to shed some light on what is going on with you.

Hope it helps