Very high BS on Steroids, anyone?

Shecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal harmers, Smoking, Ignorance, Rudeness
Hi everyone, long story and attempt to shorten it.. I have my Covid-19 test being collected today because I have a bad throat infection. I have been prescribed antibiotics and steroids to a) treat the infection and b) reduce the inflammation. My largest issue seems to be the steroids, I am finding my blood sugars around the 20 mark since I started taking them, this means I cannot sleep, I am burning hot due to the excessive highs which always happens if my sugars are very high. I have been cautiously trying to inject a little more Insulin but I seem unable to bring these numbers down so was wondering if anyone else here has/had this issue and what have you done to help?

Thank You

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I take steroids everyday (prednisone) and it just means for me I have to get the dose right. Which means you will likely use considerably more insulin then if you were not taking them. Being insulin deficient makes it a tough nut to crack and it takes time to settle into a regimen that works. Basically I just played around with basal and bolus until I got good control and stable predictable numbers. It's not easy though.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on steroids long term, 40mg prednisolone and levels were stratospheric. I got them under control but it was complicated. If you are only on a short course it may not be too bad before you are back to normal. I was on humulin I and novorapid for corrections.