Type 1 Very scared

Lauralau92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi can anyone help me. I've been diabetic for 11 years now (type 1). About 5 months ago I read an article about dead in bed syndrome. I had never heard about this which annoyed me slightly as surely me and my parents should have been told when I was first diagnosed.
I now cannot sleep properly on a night on worry that I won't wake up. I awake every two hours to check my count which means I'm very tired throughout the day. I hate this and would love to sleep all night through again. I've tried to talk to my diabetes team about this but hey laughed and said not to worry I don't feel I'm getting any support of them at all. I mean is it mean being paranoid or does anyone else think this is something that should be made more aware of. I know if I was a parent and one day I woke up to my child not awake I would be livid. Would appreciate any feedback or reassurance. Thank you ;) xx

Reactions: 6 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @Lauralau92, please don't let these things worry you. Try and put it into perspective, just think none of us would ever go out the door if we thought about all the things that could happen, but fortunately the good things and the usual boring living stuff tend to happen instead! How's your control? After 11 years I would imagine you're pretty good at keeping yourself healthy and that's the key thing! Of course we all go through bad patches with the dreaded D, can I ask is there something else that's worrying you that's made you anxious about things that could happen?? Sue xxxx

Reactions: 4 people

Lauralau92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mrspuddleduck. I have pretty good control the occasional high result but doesn't everyone. I can't say there's anything else worrying me. I just have a tendency to overthink things and I just don't think it helps that I don't get a lot of support of my diabetic team but hopefully moving soon so means new doctors that will help me more. They seem disappointed I've never had a diabetic coma :/. I said surely that a good thing and they just shrugged their shoulders. But I do appreciate your kind words I'm so glad I joined the forum xx

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Lauralau92
you would have to massively overbolus and massively overtake your background and eat nothing for that evening meal to even have a remote chance of this happening.

i have had a few ( ok a fair few over 43 years)hypos at night and they are not always pleasant to be fair -- but none brought me to the point of death

when one goes hypo at night from too much insulin it is a worry -- but put in to perspective if you did not wake from an episode such as this you would rise throughout out the following morning and be a bit high by 10am

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To add to what the others have said, while there have been statements about Dead in Bed syndrome, it's also worth adding that while those who passed overnight were diabetic, there is little evidence that it was the diabetes that caused the death. In more than one case, hypoglycaemia itself was not the cause. As a result, you shouldn't worry yourself about it as the risk is (as already stated) very low.

Last edited by a moderator:

stallard

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sweet being stressed and worried causes lots as well. So try to enjoy your life and only worry about the things you really have to not the what's if in live. Enoy every day. Hope that help's. Xxxx