Very worried son

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scott-C . You're so **** lucky.
My 83 yr old mother would only be happy if she owned a Lambo. :):):):):)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C . You're so **** lucky.
My 83 yr old mother would only be happy if she owned a Lambo. :):):):):)

Could you get away with sticking a lambo badge on the front of a second hand Mini, and telling her, yes it is, yes it is, it's a new model by them, I know you've not seen it on Top Gear, but it's the latest thing, honest....

Reactions: Adamgross80

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scott-C . It's something to consider I guess.
Picture the scene........
A mini with Lamborghini decals, outside lane if the M1, windows wound down, grey hair fluttering out of windows, hearing aid dangling from ear, glasses askew and Yorkshire terrier ( Bonny) sitting on the dash board.
All this at 62 mph with Jim Reeves blaring out.
The deely boppers . YES.
Fake Lambo. Not so sure.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought I would give an update as the advice and responses have been amazing. Thank you all.

So, first, Dexcom is up and running again. It is such a relief. His glucose levels have reduced significantly. His mmol/L is about 12-13 during the day and 6-7 during the longer periods with no food (e.g. middle of the night). They are still high and fluctuate too much, but the reduction is positive news and we are making him aware of this. As a result, his mood his greatly improved.

Additionally, we have spoken to a private healthcare company. They are going to streamline his meds to make things simpler, help him with his diet and visit him once a day. Hopefully, through this, his glucose levels will reduce further. We also have the reassurance he will not forget to take his insulin or pills, and is being checked daily.

Unfortunately, we believe my dad has vascular dementia. He is going for a memory test in the next few weeks. If we are right, it's going to be a long road ahead. However, the good news is that my dad is far more willing to receive help and generally in better spirits (undoubtedly due to the reduced glucose levels); and we no longer have the feeling of being lost.

He will never be 100% . But that's life. And, with the right support, we're able to deal with it.

Hi @Adamgross80 ,

Sorry to hear about your dad's vascular dementia.

My T2 father had vascular dementia for the last 8 years of his life. He was on metformin but pulled off the meds for the latter 18 months of his life?
I write this just to give you a heads up. Vascular dementia can play cruel tricks with the blood sugar levels.
In short.
My dad had access to a meter on prescription. Prior to his demise (& off the diabetes meds.) his blood sugars would plummet into hypo teritory (high 2s/low 3s mmol.)
I was told after my dads death that the part of the brain affected (from my understanding.) acts like the ECU (engine management.) on a car? It tells the body to do random stuff as it shuts down...

I felt this was worth mentioning regarding your own fathers diabetes medication. A close eye on the BS may well be needed..

Talking of cars... Lads? Could you please keep this thread on topic.? Cheers!

Adamgross80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Adamgross80 ,

Sorry to hear about your dad's vascular dementia.

My T2 father had vascular dementia for the last 8 years of his life. He was on metformin but pulled off the meds for the latter 18 months of his life?
I write this just to give you a heads up. Vascular dementia can play cruel tricks with the blood sugar levels.
In short.
My dad had access to a meter on prescription. Prior to his demise (& off the diabetes meds.) his blood sugars would plummet into hypo teritory (high 2s/low 3s mmol.)
I was told after my dads death that the part of the brain affected (from my understanding.) acts like the ECU (engine management.) on a car? It tells the body to do random stuff as it shuts down...

I felt this was worth mentioning regarding your own fathers diabetes medication. A close eye on the BS may well be needed..

Talking of cars... Lads? Could you please keep this thread on topic.? Cheers!

Thank you for sharing this. Sorry to hear what your father (and consequentially you/your family) went through. I know things will get worse. With the right help and control measures we are seeking to put in place, we are hopeful that the deterioration will slow down.

Days like today, however, are not easy. His mmol was 29 earlier. He forgot to take his insulin. Simply, the professional help cannot start soon enough!

A

Australia 1

Don't battle with your Dad, it does no good at all. My siblings and I tried our very hardest to help my Dad but he just didn't want it, all he wanted was to do his thing, listen to our inane chatter and cuddle grandchildren. It took 30 years of diabetes to kill him and along the way he accepted ONLY the things he could not do himself. Just be there, enjoy his company and nudge him along when he needs it.
My Dad tried to die several times (not of his own hand I hasten to add) but was resuscitated at least three times, he was bloody tough! But he wanted to die, he told me that several times and made me promise not to try to resuscitate him if he was with me when it happened.

All of my peer group with elderly parents have said exactly the same thing; they resent people interfering and just want to get on with their lives.

@wiflib I commend you on your Statement of Character about older people with this Death wish thinking of life is no longer living. As a veteran of Gulf War 1, 2 Cancers and my story is told over and over and my brother age 62 had this death attitude. He had a Pump. I was a Type 2 with Metformin. But it was people like you @wiflib Who, I would read your advice a good bit. The advice for the 72 year old Gentleman was the way it is. I have learned a lot at this Forum and it is People like you who make this Forum what it is. My brother died on December 3rd 2017. That Pump was his excuse to eat and drink Himself to Death. Attitude is the reason that advances life, not a Diabectic Pump or finger pricking and constant blood testing. @wiflid-Spot-on Honey.
Sam.