Victoza and hypos.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For reasons which I won’t go into now, last week I changed meds from Metformin tablets 1.5g daily, to daily Victoza injections. I started last week on 0.6mg then this morning a week later I doubled the dose to 1.2mg as instructed. I am wearing a Libre and decided it might be wise to set a low glucose alarm, as my diabetes nurse suggested there was a very very small chance of going hypo.

My blood sugars have generally been lower since I started it but this evening I got an alarm and my blood glucose was 3.8mmol/l. I wasn’t feeling unwell but decided to have my evening meal earlier than usual, now 40 mins after starting my meal, I’m back up to 4.1mmol/l.

Has anyone else had hypos on Victoza, and would it be wise to carry hypo treatment with me or is that overkill?

• Hug
Reactions: shelley262

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I assume if you had an alarm, the reading was from Libre. Did you test it with a finger pricks,?
The advice is to always check highs and lows unless you feel very hypo.

If you were hypo, you need to treat it with fast acting carbs. The reason for this is that our body can become familiar with lows and lose hypo awareness.
If you are susceptible to hypos you must carry something like jelly babies with you at all times.

Eating dinner early will not raise your levels fast enough.

Reactions: Rachox

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For reasons which I won’t go into now, last week I changed meds from Metformin tablets 1.5g daily, to daily Victoza injections. I started last week on 0.6mg then this morning a week later I doubled the dose to 1.2mg as instructed. I am wearing a Libre and decided it might be wise to set a low glucose alarm, as my diabetes nurse suggested there was a very very small chance of going hypo.

My blood sugars have generally been lower since I started it but this evening I got an alarm and my blood glucose was 3.8mmol/l. I wasn’t feeling unwell but decided to have my evening meal earlier than usual, now 40 mins after starting my meal, I’m back up to 4.1mmol/l.

Has anyone else had hypos on Victoza, and would it be wise to carry hypo treatment with me or is that overkill?

Rachox, I have zero experience of Victoza, so no wisdom there, but as far as carrying hypo treatments is concerned, it makes sense to have something at the bottom of your handbag,........ just in case. You can always bin it, if not required.

Better safe than sorry.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I assume if you had an alarm, the reading was from Libre. Did you test it with a finger pricks,?
The advice is to always check highs and lows unless you feel very hypo.

If you were hypo, you need to treat it with fast acting carbs. The reason for this is that our body can become familiar with lows and lose hypo awareness.
If you are susceptible to hypos you must carry something like jelly babies with you at all times.

Eating dinner early will not raise your levels fast enough.
Of course this is all stuff I know really. I’ve just had an op on my foot and am on crutches. Finger prick kit was upstairs so no I didn’t double check the reading as it’s a bit of a struggle to get upstairs at the moment! I certainly will do if it happens again.
Rachox, I have zero experience of Victoza, so no wisdom there, but as far as carrying hypo treatments is concerned, it makes sense to have something at the bottom of your handbag,........ just in case. You can always bin it, if not required.

Better safe than sorry.
Yes I will do that, hopefully I will never need them.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so I think I’ve worked out what has been happening. Today was my 14th day of this Libre. I had another two low alarms this morning before it finally ran out. I did do finger pricks each time and they showed 5.something each time when the Libre was saying 3.7. I usually find that I get higher than normal readings during the last 24 hours, but this one decided to do the opposite!

I have got some glucose tablets now though just in case!

Reactions: shelley262