Victoza and travel

suzyg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going on holiday to New Zealand and will be away for 36 days. I have a Frio wallet for transporting my Victoza and Levemir. However Victoza has an in-use limit of 30 days, so I should discard it after it has been out of the fridge after that time. I cannot get Victoza in New Zealand (already inquired). Any thoughts on what I can/should do? The levemir will be fine as it is ok for up to 42 days.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I would have thought that if you kept the unopened Victoza in an activated Frio wallet, that would count as it being in the fridge. The thirty days limit is if it is kept at room temperature, and the Frio ought to keep it a good few degrees lower than that. I'm sure Novo Nordisk (the manufacturers) would advise, if asked. Presumably you will leave home with an opened pen and an unopened one... the opened one will be OK for the whole of its remaining life. So Its only the unopened one that is at issue, and the Frio wallet should keep it OK during the journey...then pop it in the fridge when you get to NZ... its a relatively civilised country, after all!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @suzyg
yes -- concur with @Marvin on that -- stored in a frio wallet will keep it at a temperature low enough to count as refrigerated -- then pop it in a real fridge once you arrive,