Vigorous Exercise Recommended

beverleyp

My sugar levels were very high when I was initially diagnosed 2 years ago...but I didn't panic...just accepted the situation and adjusted my diet, though no-one is perfect! However, what I want to stress is that I exercise daily - I just got into the habit of it - by jogging 3 miles 5 days a week. I am convinced it is the exercise in particular that is keeping my levels at around 5. Give it a go everyone, choose your form of exercise, make it vigorous and build up to 30 mins a day. You'll thank me for it and you'll be lovely and slim too into the bargain, if you are not already. Also, it is possible that I can get away with 'sinning' more these days, although don't quote me on it as I don't test myself regularly, but when I went for my annual test recently and 6 months ago level was 5 ish. (Have even got my husband to jog with me and he has lost his paunch!) Can anyone else confirm that exercise makes the difference??

Aubergenie

Dislikes
Weetabix, Twilight, Katherine Jenkins,
Thank You Beverly. I have been inspired to walk home from work when I finish, rather than get the bus (I live 2 miles from where I work.)

Exercise starts here. :)

C

catherinecherub

Even if you don't have a weight problem, this article suggests 60 minutes per day of moderate exercise to maintain weight in middle aged women.

http://www.physorg.com/news188581258.html

Just keep moving, wash the car, wash the windows, wash the paintwork, walk to the local shop, walk the dog,(or your neighbours), sort the garden out, put an upbeat tune on as you polish, dust. You can do some step exercises by using the bottom stair. You will end up with a lovely clean house and be lighter in the bargain. :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I clicked on expecting to read something else! :oops: :lol:

Nigel

Cowboyjim

My DN deterred me from jogging and I partly agree with her - don't want to swap problems to busted joints etc. Now I have a cross-trainer and manage at least 15 mins a day on that combined with at least 20 min walk briskly.
What puzzles me tho is that old saw about the 6 monthly Hba1c and spikes... the NHS seems keen to discourage personal testing IFO Hba1c. But what about in between?
The thing about DM that freaks me out is how insidious it is. I think of my Met as the belt on my twin braces, diet and exercise. The risks are too high o/w IMHO.

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories
hi there
yes i agree with catherinecherub - keep moving its the only way, wash,clean, walk, hop skip and jump even just move !!!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I find my pedometer very useful
10.000 steps per day at a reasonable speed is recommended somewhere. I can't do more than3 mph sustained across country . I've only done about 2 miles this morning, but half of it was uphill. The suncame out and Igot quite warm. It was glorious and I walked with my eccentric friend Arthur. I hadn't seen him for a few weeks, so we had a lot to catch up on.
Believe it or not, he wanted some advice on a gift for a lady friend.
Hana