Vision Issues When Correcting High Hba1c

Juzzyjk

Hi

Diagnosed type 2 18 months ago. Wasnt very mindfull, had a recent Hba1c and come out at 110 testing at home in the mid 20's.

Been on Gliclazide and put a lot of effort in over 2 weeks (exercise and low carbs) and now have daily tests at in the correct zone averaging 7.9 with a projected Hba1c at 69 - more to do but well under way.

However..

Ive found that my distance glasses and contact lenses arent giving me 20 20 vision. Readers are fine im not totally blind but it feels like my glasses just arent strong enough. Somedays worse than others.

Ive just had my eye annual screening twice once at the hospital in December and once in week 1 Jan at specsavers.l - zero damage.

Am i right that ive picked up on here this is normal when coming down from a high Hba1c or should i be worried.

Should i go get glases now or wait, should i go to the docs asap ?

Thanks in advance

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi

Diagnosed type 2 18 months ago. Wasnt very mindfull, had a recent Hba1c and come out at 110 testing at home in the mid 20's.

Been on Gliclazide and put a lot of effort in over 2 weeks (exercise and low carbs) and now have daily tests at in the correct zone averaging 7.9 with a projected Hba1c at 69 - more to do but well under way.

However..

Ive found that my distance glasses and contact lenses arent giving me 20 20 vision. Readers are fine im not totally blind but it feels like my glasses just arent strong enough. Somedays worse than others.

Ive just had my eye annual screening twice once at the hospital in December and once in week 1 Jan at specsavers.l - zero damage.

Am i right that ive picked up on here this is normal when coming down from a high Hba1c or should i be worried.

Should i go get glases now or wait, should i go to the docs asap ?

Thanks in advance

Yes - prolonged high blood glucose levels distort the eye and when you bring your levels down quickly your eyes return to their normal shape. Your brain has to get used to the new images and this may take a while.

So I'd suggest that you wait before renewing the glasses but monitor your vision closely. If you are in any doubt about the condition of your eyes then please seek professional advice.

Reactions: Juzzyjk