Vitamin b12 low

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hello everyone. I know there's been some discussion of B12 but I'm interested in other people's experiences. In December I had a sore mouth and saw one doctor who gave me a mouthwash which seemed to more or less clear it but as soon as I stopped, it came back even more. A second visit to another doctor sent me for a blood test and a telephone conversation with her gave me a prescription for B12 supplements. I've been taking them for a week and a half now but mouth is still sore. Does anyone have experience of taking them and can say if they worked for them? Does it mean that a course will be enough or will they be another tablet to add to the pile?
Thank you everyone on here for being so supportive.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you take metformin or acid blocking drugs? They can interfere with absorption of B12 and other vitamins/minerals.

Did the doctor give you a sub-lingual version of B12? That version is more easily absorbed than tablets.

And even with tablets, the methylcobalamin version is better absorbed than the standard version.

Reactions: Freema

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you take metformin or acid blocking drugs? They can interfere with absorption of B12 and other vitamins/minerals.

Did the doctor give you a sub-lingual version of B12? That version is more easily absorbed than tablets.

And even with tablets, the methylcobalamin version is better absorbed than the standard version.
Is there evidence that sublingual b12 is better absorbed? From what I've read it's not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV

I've been taking metformin for nearly twenty years now as well as omeprazole which I read can give B12 problems. I've just been given tablets to take and have to repeat the blood test after taking them for a month.