Type 1 Vitamin C

timewind

I have bought a large bottle Vitamin C tablets, to help reduce the risk of colds, and to help with tiredness.
I have read that T1 DB's should not take Vit C as they could cause complications.

I only intend taking 1 tab per day at breakfast. Is this likely to do me any longterm harm? I don't intend buying more when I have finished the bottle.

Any advice appreciated.

PaulB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have read that T1 DB's should not take Vit C as they could cause complications.

Where did you read that, I would have thought the opposite would be nearer to the truth.

You could just eat ample amounts of fruit & veg to get all your Vit C @timewind

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Vitamin c raises my bs. Even rose hips and hibiscus in herbal teas. Just a note.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 500 mg of vitamin C everyday but I am type 2... I think it is healthy due to the higher oxidation that diabetics are supposed to have due to the ever raised blood glucose compared to non diabetic healthy people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought it would be healthy too but not after a 30 point spike. I haven't tried it since T1. My glucose is always in non diabetic range and I'd like to keep it that way even if it means no vit c but I'm sure not everyone sees a rise. Just something to watch for

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it hasn´t raised my blood glucose ... take it every day for the last 3 month

timewind

The jury is still out then.
I have enough trouble keeping my BS in check, so I think I will leave it for now. And talk with my Diabetic Dr.