Vitamin D And Now What Feels Like Neuropathy?

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, been Big D for 41 years and am on insulin, Epilim, thyroxin and now vitamin D. My vitamin D level a year ago was under 5 ( normal apparently is 80 ? ) and this was caused by my epilepsy medication blocking the vitamin, so to cut a boring story short I'll be on that forever now. This week I've started feeling what feels like occasional stabs of cramp in one calf, strange numbness in my feet ( bit spongy ) and if I walk any distance I'm in pain in my shins, heels and toes. Now the consultant said that because the vitamin D deficiency has caused my bones to soften they will ache getting better ( my level is now 120 ) but I'm taking magnesium and B vitamins to help with that. My hba1c is 7.4. Does anyone recognise that as neuropathy? I've also got diabetic hand, and am getting similar stabs there. Confused !

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know but people here have reported neuropathy pain intensifying as their nerves heal by taking specific nutritional supplements. By the way, most of us will be on vitamin D for the rest of our lives too, so you're not alone. :)

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know but people here have reported neuropathy pain intensifying as their nerves heal by taking specific nutritional supplements. By the way, most of us will be on vitamin D for the rest of our lives too, so you're not alone. :)

Thank you - the 'you're not alone' bit always helps