Vitamin D3 - Giving it a try

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hello everyone, I've noticed a few comments in past threads about the potential advantage of taking a Vitamin D supplement. So I figured I would give it a try - not so much for any type 1 diabetes reasons but more for the fact that there has been a significant decrease (where I live) in the amount of sunlight over the past month and it will only get worse as we head in to the winter.

It's dark when I get up to go to work and it's dark when I go home from work and the weekends as of late have been cool - 5 C with lots of rain. Any D3 users out there? Have you noticed a difference with your disposition or BG levels?

Reactions: Liam1955

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take vitamin D3 every day except from in the middle of summer, i am very much indoor and and a doctor told me it is impossible to get enough sunlight in the wintertime in the nothern parts of Europe... even when we are out for many hours in the wintersun, because of the angle of the sunlight it is just not strong enough to make our skin make enough vitamin D...
but I have chosen not to eat the stronger pill of 85 micro-grams pro day because recent study has found that too high also raises the levels of death among people with very high/too high levels of vitamin D.

my levels are right in the middle...in my blood sample of the recommended area

Reactions: fletchweb

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think i was D deficient for years before getting tested.
Once i had supplemented enough to notice the benefits i better in the following ways:
- less tired
- fewer aches
- muscles feeling stronger
And most of all, a kind of grey nagging low mood lifted for the first time in a very long time.

A

asparagusp

Hello everyone, I've noticed a few comments in past threads about the potential advantage of taking a Vitamin D supplement. So I figured I would give it a try - not so much for any type 1 diabetes reasons but more for the fact that there has been a significant decrease (where I live) in the amount of sunlight over the past month and it will only get worse as we head in to the winter.

It's dark when I get up to go to work and it's dark when I go home from work and the weekends as of late have been cool - 5 C with lots of rain. Any D3 users out there? Have you noticed a difference with your disposition or BG levels?

After a gap of a few years I've started taking them again last week. 1000 iu but plan to raise thus to 2000 iu shortly. The government recently advocated supplementing your diet as we don't get too much sunlight, especially in winter. There are articles online that say it benefits diabetics. I'm too busy at the moment to find the back up but you can!

You can get a blood test to check your current levels.

Reactions: fletchweb

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed deficient and started taking supplements, I felt someone like had switched on the lights. It made a dramatic difference to moods, energy and pain levels.

Knowing what I know now though (and seeing the number of soft tissue calcifications I seem to have showing up in a number of tendinopathies), I wish I'd known about K2 when I started. It's a bad idea to take Vitamin D3 without taking Vitamin K2 as well. I now take K2 every day and hoping that it will help with the calcifications.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please have your serum calcium levels checked before taking Vitamin D as it can cause problems if you have high levels
CAROL

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Rheumatologist prescribed Vitamin D3 drops for me a few months ago, she said I was lacking and having just 4 drops every day has made a slight improvement in joint pain. (Not a lot though)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have a D3/K2 combination that I take. I think it's made me more insulin sensitive.