1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vitamin K2 (important if you're taking statins)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by Indy51, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Vitamin K2 (along with CoQ10) is a nutrient that can be depleted by statin use. There are also very few good sources of it in the Western diet.

This study (which is covered in some detail in the videos below) shows how important K2 is to avoiding CVD:
    "Dietary Intake of Menaquinone Is Associated with a Reduced Risk of Coronary Heart Disease: The Rotterdam Study": http://jn.nutrition.org/content/134/11/3100.long

These two videos (posted December 2015) have 4 speakers covering the latest K2 research and its importance in avoiding arterial calcifications, muscle cramps, assisting with diabetic neuropathy and bone building:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

anyone had results with vitamin K2-7 ? menaquinone ?

3. SMS1

SMS1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vitamin-k-and-natto-what-s-the-connection/

I learned about vitamin K (1 and 2) recently. I go for natural sources such a Brie and Gouda cheese but the most intense vitamin K2 source is natto- fermented soy beans( Japanese) which can be found online or made at home which I haven't found yet where to buy.Apparently,one serving per week (I don't know the measurements) is enough for dietary requirements( I suppose non.diabetic),For diabetes, and statins (which I don't know anything about-must be said) requirements could be more.

#3 SMS1, Oct 6, 2020 at 6:04 PM
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook