Vitrectomy help!

Flove14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
so after many laser sessions which were successful, I now have a lot of scar tissue which is causing some pulling/traction. I’ve opted to wait until after Christmas to see if it gets any worse, consultant has advised that surgery might be needed but may reduce vision in the eye. At the moment I don’t have any issues with the vision in the right eye at all, so I’m slightly apprehensive to go for the surgery that might change that. I’m of the kind set ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’
My consulatant doesn’t think the traction will cause any immediate issues but may eventually.
Has anyone else had the same dilemma?

leahkian

I have had a lot of laser treatment but it did not work and in all i had 5 vitrectomy ops 2 on the right eye and 3 on the left after the first one on the left eye it took 2 and a half hours which was more than the 1 hour i was told. The next day they took the patch off and i could see nothing but red the doctor told me that the eye was still bleeding and gave me some tablets to see if they would take the blood away. This did not happen and 2 weeks later another op was done which went well as they took all the fluid out of the eye and replaced it with clear water all my ops were between the ages of 18-21 years of age. I am now 41 and have glasses for reading and driving but at my annual review i was told if i did not have the ops i would be blind by now, my left eye is a bit weaker than the right but i can still see which is the most important thing. In fact i can see the sun and look how far away that is, but with any surgery it has its dangers to it will be up to you and the doctor to choose which path you take. If you have the op your have to take some drops including the one that stings.

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve had these ops in both eyes a bit similar to leahkian, I now have no vision in my left eye, I had to get it done as I lost my sight totally but I have regained some sight in the left so it has been positive.

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a vitrectomy in my left eye in September, after waiting for nearly six months for the bleed to disappear, and it has worked really well. I have better sight in that eye than I have had for years, and no floaters any more! Hope that all goes well for you if you do have the op.

Reactions: lefeilouss