1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vodka and low blood sugar

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Russell52, May 17, 2020.

1. Russell52

Russell52 Type 2 · Member

Hi all, I’m T2 Fully controlled age 60 weight 10 stone 10 lbs.
    I do however have a couple of vodkas in the evening. Over the last few weeks my blood sugars at bed time are a bit too low at 3.9. During the day they are about 5. I don’t eat between 8 am and 6pm. Diabetic about 15 years. On the surface these numbers are ok but they are lower than they have been over the years. Any thoughts?

2. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Vodka lowers blood sugar, or at least delays spikes while your liver deals with the glucose, so it's probably related to that. That said, I think 3.9 is ok anyway, provided you're not on hypo causing medication.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

What, if any, medication do you take, @Russell52 ? That can impact how good, or otherwise, numbers can be

4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If the liver is busy dealing with alcohol it can’t dump glucose into the blood. Yet. So levels are short term lower than without the alcohol. It’s a temporary delay and not advised as a control mechanism due to its own inherent issues/damage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Russell52

Russell52 Type 2 · Member

Hi, metformin, emphaglozin. Cheers

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook