Voluntary groups

david200110

I see there are Voluntary Groups run by Diabetes UK.

Does anyone have any experience of these? What happens at meetings?

I'm a bit wary of joining one as I used to go to a voluntary group which was supposed to help with depression and that turned out to be a complete waste of time.

Having been diagnosed just a couple of weeks ago, I'm still tyrying to understand it all but it all seems so overwhelming.

david

ChocFish

No idea re diabetes uk group, but I do know about self-help groups for depression though some of them are so terribly negative people go in there and come out worse than before, it depends on the organiser I think?

All the best

Karen

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

Lady J

David, why not ask your GP or practice nurse whether there is DESMOND course run in your area. By all accounts they are very useful.

LJ

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi David,

I attend monthly meetings of a voluntary group here in Edinburgh. We help shape the policies and initiatives of the local NHS Trust, raise funds for research and organise bi-annual conferences for diabetic patients and carers. We're also well placed to encourage DUK to do some of the things many people here think they should be doing.
I've been able to use it to push the dietary issues up the agenda, and it's always helpful to share knowledge and experience with others.

All the best,

fergusc

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Fergus, That's interesting. Is your NHS Trust the equivalent of a PCT in England?

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Dennis,

Our NHS Trust has a degree of autonomy I think so is probably quite similar to your Primary Care Trust in that sense. The beaurocracy and complexities are a bit of a mystery to me still, so I'm not entirely sure how else they might compare.

Are you involved with your PCT?

All the best,

fergusc