Waking up to high readings

CIarebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After sleeping for 10 hours or so, I've woken up today with bloor sugar of 15.3

I'm quite recently diagnosed (june) and I take one 750mg SR metformin daily. Is there medication which helps lower the blood sugar levels more than metformin? I've been told that metformin doesnt really have much of an effect on lowering it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After sleeping for 10 hours or so, I've woken up today with bloor sugar of 15.3

I'm quite recently diagnosed (june) and I take one 750mg SR metformin daily. Is there medication which helps lower the blood sugar levels more than metformin? I've been told that metformin doesnt really have much of an effect on lowering it.

What was your level just before you went to bed?
What sort of levels do you see before and after eating?
What level is normal for you when you wake up?
Did you do a re-test after that 15.3?

Sorry to ask these questions, but we really need more information before we can respond properly.

CIarebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately I didnt test before bed last night. I havent been keeping on top of things recently so pretty much cannot answer any of your questions, last few readings on my monitor are, 8.8, 14.9, 13.7, 12, 11, 13.4, 10.3 again not sure what circumstance these were, wether before eating, exersice or what time of day.

No, I didnt retest after, but I have just tested now, 50 minutes after and got 16.3, I havent had anything to eat or drink since so cant understand whats going on.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly may I say that if you want to get on top of this disease and keep it under control you need to be organised with your testing and recording. Those readings you list only suggest to me that your levels are high but neither you nor I know why. You really need to know why .... the way to do this is to test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Keep a food diary with portion sizes and record your levels alongside the food eaten. This will show you at a glance what that meal has done to your levels and give you the opportunity to change some of the foods (either by reducing portion sizes of the carbs or by eliminatng some). A rise of more than 2mmol/ means too many carbs in that meal.

You can then test when you wake up, but to get a realistic idea of what that level means, you also need a bedtime level.

Secondly, it isn't just food that causes raised levels. Our livers produce glucose naturally, and in times of not eating, stress, exercise and so on our bodies detect that we need extra energy to cope, so the liver sends glucose into the blood stream to help. This most often happens in the mornings but can happen at any time.

Reactions: SimonCrox

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What did you have for dinner? Or what is your typical dinner like?

CIarebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly may I say that if you want to get on top of this disease and keep it under control you need to be organised with your testing and recording. Those readings you list only suggest to me that your levels are high but neither you nor I know why. You really need to know why .... the way to do this is to test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Keep a food diary with portion sizes and record your levels alongside the food eaten. This will show you at a glance what that meal has done to your levels and give you the opportunity to change some of the foods (either by reducing portion sizes of the carbs or by eliminatng some). A rise of more than 2mmol/ means too many carbs in that meal.

You can then test when you wake up, but to get a realistic idea of what that level means, you also need a bedtime level.

Secondly, it isn't just food that causes raised levels. Our livers produce glucose naturally, and in times of not eating, stress, exercise and so on our bodies detect that we need extra energy to cope, so the liver sends glucose into the blood stream to help. This most often happens in the mornings but can happen at any time.

Thank you, I've found this very informative, I will start keeping the food diary and take the readings as well.

So with my levels being high when I woke up, and me chosing not to eat because they were high I could have potentially made the levels go higher due to not eating?

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I've found this very informative, I will start keeping the food diary and take the readings as well.

So with my levels being high when I woke up, and me chosing not to eat because they were high I could have potentially made the levels go higher due to not eating?

Yes, it is possible, and very likely. You don't need to eat a lot to stop this happening, or at least reduce the impact, but best not to have carbs. For me, a decaf coffee with cream works wonders. A couple of boiled eggs might work, or some cheese or similar. Even bacon and eggs. It is all trial and error, and very individual.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to eat as soon as I get up. I'll continue to rise until afternoon if I don't. Even with my normal insulin injections when I eat. If I don't eat and still take the injections I rise even more

Our hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline are waking up and giving us bg to get on with our day.

@Bluetit1802 gave you all great advice.

I have 1/3 avocado for bf. I need very low carb bf or it'll set me high all day

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Lily76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't mean to hijack the thread but some of @Bluetit1802 and @Kristin251 advice and comments have helped to answer a question I had about morning rises and fasting. I had a BG of 6.8 this am (not bad but am usually 6.3) so I thought I'd just have a coffee and skip breakfast to see if it would come down. Nope. 7.0 at 10.30 and 7.2 10 mins later.

I've had a small portion of cheese to see if that helps.

Good luck @ClareBearJ :)

SimonCrox

The care with diet and testing is crucial as folk say. Diet and exercise can be dramatically effective, but generally is not enough after a while. Metformin is as effeective as any other tablet at decreasing blood glucose levels, and UK GP data shows that better at avoiding complications than a sulphonylurea such as gliclazide. IN the 1990's, we thought that SUs were much better than metformin at dropping glucose levels, but it was then found that they were equivalent.
There is scope to increase the metformin if your kidneys are normal (metformin is excreted via the kidneys) and if tummy OK. The next drug to add in depends on who is paying. So, lots of studies have compared adding gliptin to adding SU; adding the gliptin has better survival and allows easier control of weight. But gliptins are about £30 per month and SUs about £1.50 per month.. There has been a resurgence in interst in pioglitazone cos might decrease risk of dementia, and no increased risk of bladder cancer, but the weight gain can be a real problem. SGLT-2 inhibitors would be another choice which helps lose weight and does not give hypos but is dear
best wishes

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke this morning to a 10.8. Had some scrambled egg for breakfast, 2 hours later I'm 11.5

Better than yesterday but still a long way off where I need to be.

That's a great improvement. I find that a carbs filled day, especially dinner will raise my night time and fasting glucose for a couple of days above its usual 5.0-5.5 mmol. So I would recommend light dinner or no dinner to give our body more time to clear away any excess in our glycogen store.

upload_2017-9-15_3-8-7.png

Day 5- carbs filled day kept glucose levels above 5.5 mmol all day, especially the night time (12am-6am) glucose level.

upload_2017-9-15_3-9-13.png

Day 6- This elevated night time glucose remains for 2 more days.

upload_2017-9-15_3-12-15.png

Day 8- Night time glucse starts to return back to normal with light dinner, although breakfast was heavy on carbs. (~ 5.5 mmol)

You may find my 14 days glucose response summary helpful..
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/14-days-with-freestyle-libre.1529/

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a great improvement. I find that a carbs filled day, especially dinner will raise my night time and fasting glucose for a couple of days above its usual 5.0-5.5 mmol. So I would recommend light dinner or no dinner to give our body more time to clear away any excess in our glycogen store.

View attachment 23860

Day 5- carbs filled day kept glucose levels above 5.5 mmol all day, especially the night time (12am-6am) glucose level.

View attachment 23861

Day 6- This elevated night time glucose remains for 2 more days.

View attachment 23862

Day 8- Night time glucse starts to return back to normal with light dinner, although breakfast was heavy on carbs. (~ 5.5 mmol)

You may find my 14 days glucose response summary helpful..
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/14-days-with-freestyle-libre.1529/
This for me as well. Protein will do the same thing. I have to keep the glycogen stores empty.
I always say one bad meal equals 3 bad days.

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah my blood sugars are through the roof if i dont watch my carbs and sugar.
I can get my sugars down if i leave out ALL CARBS AND SUGAR so its boring veg and meat
Pluss weight starts to shift.
Pluss im not on meds but since ive been running to work ive noticed BG slowly dropping down.
At the mo im around 9-13.5mmol when it was 18-23/25mmol but this was just far too much carbs and sugars.
Check out Jamie Eason Live fit
Most athletes train 3-6 days a week and have 1 day of indulgeing.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Birmingham1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wake up with normal reading of about 6-7 but if I don't eat for 3-4 hrs my blood sugars have risen to 15-18 what can I do about this because I don't always want to eat first thing in the morning any advice would be appreciated