walk a dog walk yourself company freinds

samjenko

Help your illness start walking in parks locally and let people know that you are there walk with a dog i do i am diabetic i do nothing else no time. are you interested please get in touch its free to walk Regards The Taggmaster

rottweilsteve

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (see above), Otherwise dishonesty, discrimination, prejudicial behaviour. and general nastiness.
I'm always keen to make sure that my dogs are listed on official material as therapy dogs... Ten years ago I made a change to my HIV medication which I believe is the reason I'm here today (both alive and diabetic - the alive is the important part!). About a year later the medical staff were reviewing my results and couldn't believe the progress they thought they were seeing: apparently important blood counts had gone up over a hundred points over other others at the clinic who'd made the change in drugs at the same time as me. What was I doing differently?

The answer, of course was Zeus, or as we must now call him the honorary Dr Zeus. For years I'd resisted getting a dog, knowing that I'd be the one to walk him/her and so on, but suddenly it seemed right. My partner was sneaky and made sure that Zeus bonded with me rather than him - don't worry: when we got a female puppy some time later I used to swear that I was going to phone Trisha and ask for a DNA test to prove that B'Elana was John's daughter!

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, the doctor said "well, I've met your dogs, I've no doubt your exercise regime is far and above what's needed." (It is - the Welsh mountains and hills can be somewhat unforgiving: a mile on the map is never a mile on the ground!)

When I lived in cities I made sure to make contact and, if at all possible, join, the group of people who walked their dogs at X o'clock. Bonds form quickly, largely defined by which dog gets on well with which. I remember meeting Jake the boxer's mum a few weeks after her double hip transplant half way down a path in the woods that I would consider challenging at the best of time "Does your doctor know you're here?" "No: and don't you dare tell her!" ;-) [for the record, if any of the humans present thought she was pushing her luck, she's have been back on flat ground before any of the dogs could fart].

I'm rambling: dogs are wonderful for exercise, but please do make make sure that you can cope with a dog in the rest of your life before committing to a dog: it's a life-long relationship...

S

Marz Barr

I lost my beloved rotti 3 years ago to cancer and can,t ear to replace the ireplaceable but i miss the exersise :( :( :(

Marz Barr

I know exactley what you mean Sarah Tyson was,nt quit 3 when we lost him he was not a friendly dog to outsiders ithink he had been very badly treated before we had him . we were home number 4 before we had him he had been left for 4 days so when we were out we muzzled him but with us he was so soft.In my eyes he will always be a hero my husband had taken him for a walk one day and got about ten minuits away from home when Tyson turned tail and started to head for home dragging Kevin behind him (who could have stoped him but wanted to no what he was up to) they got home and got as far as lead and muzzle being taken off when my husband had a really bad hypo he was able to sort him self out just but if they had been still walking who knows what would have happened he only did this the one time
Wendie

yorksherpud

I've always resisted getting a dog but my son was diagnosed as diabetic just under two months ago. We went to a friends house who has a seven month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and I fell in love with it. We are now lookinig for breeders in our area and hope to have a new doggy friend by September.

I'm so excited!!

Pud x

yorksherpud

A quick update on the doggy situation, we went last week to look at a litter of labrador puppies and came home with Bailey Boo. He's a chocolate lab and is 9 weeks old today. He is soooooo naughty, we have spent all week chasing him round stopping him digging in next doors garden, eating the sofa etc etc, but we absolutely love him to pieces.

We have another week and a bit until he his able to go on walks due to his jabs. We can't wait for the walks, if nothing else just to try and tire him out!

Kind regards

Pud x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm a 61 year old diabetic stroke survivor. Having been told by the "medics" that what function I was going to get back would happen in 18 months, I decided I wanted more. I started walking with a health group( mostly learning disabled) in a local park and have now moved on to walk leader for them. I also walk with 2 other groups. I still limp a little and have trouble climbing stiles, but I do my 10,000 a day( I can do about 3.5 miles in an hour) I have dogs, Italian Greyhounds, which I also walk. It's difficult on group walks, but I take them separately. The only problem I encounter is big dogs out of control. IGs are tiny and easily injured. We end up going round on leash on pavements. A lot of the time the park isn't safe.

yorksherpud

Thanks for the advice SarahQ. Bailey has managed to learn how to sit on command, but only if he thinks we have a treat. He also gives a paw when he wants you to give him a treat and you're right, he has the most soulful eyes!

We are having to watch him constantly at the minute as he wants to chew everything, he has lots of toys but seems to prefer to chew the things he's not allowed such as the curtains! Unfortunately my dressing gown is the same colour as one of his soft toys so he launches at the hem of it whenever I have it on!

From an exhausted but happy Pud x

Graham55

Hi,
Reading these posts i started thinking, yea i have a headache, Dont know about others but i dont mind a walk but with not a lot of choice where to walk it gets boring.
Maybe there might be other people in the same area who go out at the same time maybe with there dogs and would not mind a bit of company and a chat, might also help some go out with how it is in some areas they might feel at risk on there own.
Dont think i explained that to well but you should get the idear, sort of a walk/chat club.