Want to change pumps

jagger38

I have been on the Animas pump now for 2 and half years, I am not due an upgrade till December 2014. I am wondering if you are allowed to change pumps before then? I am having a lot of problems, with finding a suitable site to put the insets, normally use my tummy, but told to use other areas. I tried around my sides, but must of laid of it, as it failed me this morning. I have had two failures in less than a week now, with ketones both times. I also hate the tubing, and am fed up worrying about air bubbles. I would be keen to change to a pump that doesn't use tubing, possible the omnipod looks interesting. I am going to the hospital on Thursday, and am thinking of bringing up the subject. I am constantly doing blood tests now, and am quite anxious. Has anyone else decided to change their pumps, and how easy was it to do?

Many thanks for reading. :?

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jagger38,
To be honest I don't think there is a decent chance of you getting to have another pump unless you pay for it yourself. You can always try maybe someone at your clinic would like to swap pumps? Have you tried changing your infusion sets? There are lots of different types and I would recommend trying every single one as I often find that lots of problems come more from the set than the actual pump. Another tip to avoid air bubbles is to clip your pump on upside down, this way any air rises to the top of the cartridge instead of going into the tubing. I find the clip on my animas very sturdy it's not come off yet except by beagles ripping it off. When I first got my pump I was only comfortable putting it in my tummy and it got very bad for absorption. There are lots of places you can put sets just as long as it's comfortable for you.
Good luck Laura