Wanting to go vegetarian

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good afternoon all, I'm looking for some advice please.

I'm currently trying to do LCHF, and my sugars are doing ok - weight loss isn't. Although I enjoy low carb, I don't especially like living on meat/fat which is what I seem to do. For a few years I've wanted to give up meat, more for ethical reasons than health reasons, but I've struggled - my record being 6 months.

My fear is that pulses etc will whack my sugars up causing me more stress. So I guess I'm looking for tips/recommended reading. I am trawling the forum and getting some good information, but anything would help. I've also been diagnosed with high iron levels so another reason to ditch red meat. I'm the kind of person that will need to plan meals if I'm to succeed. What are your favourite low carb meals? One final issue I have is that cauliflower & I are not good friends... one attempt at cauli rice too many. I can eat it but I'm not keen... and most low carb recipes seem to use it!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice.

Sean

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
There is a forum for veggies 'what have you eaten today'. Have a look at that. I was veggie for 6 years then got diabetes, not saying that's what caused it, but after checking my bloods after eating pulses etc I had to give up. I'm not a fake meat fan and don't like quorn or tofu so I ran out of ideas and was starving. I'm a basic cook or a lazy one, I eat to live.
There are some good cook books on Amazon too.

Reactions: Freema and seanj67
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @seanj67 I agree that planning is a good idea. Your meal plan would depend on what you enjoy eating, how much time you have for shopping/cooking, what gadgets you have, whether you are cooking for others, you budget etc

I don't know if I have a favourite low carb veggie (now vegan) meal as they are all so tasty. Never been a better time to low carb or eat plants as the internet is a great resource. I don't think there are many good low carb veggie books about though. The best recipes are online in my opinion.

Reactions: seanj67

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have often thought of going veggie but I know I could never do it. There are not enough low carb plant proteins to get enough protein in the day so I have kind of moderated my meal plan to some plant some animal protein. It's a good fit for me

BF is avocado and celery or a lettuce wrap with mayo and a small slice of deli turkey
Lunch and dinner are either a wrap or a chopped salad with no lettuce. I only eat 2 oz protein at a time and it's often fish. I do eat turkey, chicken, lamb and beef occasionally.
I chop celery radish onion scallion avocado and add some protein and drizzle with Evoo. Additional herbs and spices as desired.
I eat about 4-5 oz animal/ fish protein per day. I precook proteins such as chicken turkey salmon rare steak and lamb and freeze in 2 oz portions and then defrost in water for 20 min. I take whatever I fancy out when I'm making my BF and then assemble my lunch. I also prechop onion and scallion. Also radish and celery and keep those in a bowl of water in the fridge. Make meals quick and clean. So I am not a vegetarian but I only eat small quantities of animal/ fish protein. I get some extra protein in veggies avocado nuts and nut butters. More Mediterranean type with the fats being more mono/ plant fats vs saturared. Lots easier to digest as well. I cannot eat huge hunks of meat or poultry. Protein has a profound effect on my bs too. I eat small meals and snacks.

So maybe just eating small portions of animal/ fish or egg protein at two meals and having a vegetarian meal like avocado might be a good compromise. For the life of me I cannot figure out how I could go vegetarian as I also cannot do dairy of any kind or pulses and of course not rice. I could never get enough complete protein and if I do go too long without animal/ fish protein I crave it terribly.

Reactions: Freema and seanj67

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Kristin251,

Y'see, I don't miss meat at all if I don't have it - I eat it out of habit and convenience. If I wasn't diabetic it would be simple as I love vegetarian foods, but a lot of them are carb heavy. I go to an amazing vegetarian Indian buffet in London which has the best Indian food I've ever had but I know when I come out I'm going to be off the scale as a lot of it is potato based. So it's a once in a while treat.

I will carry on researching though :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@seanj67 Check out this link for restaurants in your area

https://www.happycow.net/

I know what you mean about Indian food though. The last time we ordered a curry I chose European vegetables and it was only potatoes and peas! If you enjoy cooking your own, there are many great low carb recipes. Just shout.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am vegetarian and LCHF way of eating .. its easy as meat eaters often have way to much protein .. I don't have pulses now .. but nuts are good as is cheese ..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am vegetarian and LCHF way of eating .. its easy as meat eaters often have way to much protein .. I don't have pulses now .. but nuts are good as is cheese ..
How many grams of protein do you figure you get?
At DX as T1 I was also diagnosed with protein deficiency and malnourishment as I was diagnosed way too late so I fear it happening again but eating just 4 or 5 oz. a day I am fine. I do know animal / fish protein raises me so I need to keep it minimal. Just wondering where you get it from? And how much? I do agree people eat way more FOOD in general than needed but protein for sure

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251 .. I have no idea how much protein I eat .. I have a calculator in my fitbit app .. will pop my daily food in and let you know that it comes up with

Came up with 46.2g of protein ...

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 .. I have no idea how much protein I eat .. I have a calculator in my fitbit app .. will pop my daily food in and let you know that it comes up with

Came up with 46.2g of protein ...
And where do you get them from? I eat about that much but 30-35 animal or fish. Would love to exchange for some veg proteins

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brazil Nuts .. Pea Nuts .. Almonds .. Cheese .. eggs .. and today LM veggie sausages .. mushrooms ... I have never worried about protein as I count my carbs to keep my sugar down,, I have been veggies for so many years now and not had any problems so far !

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Brazil Nuts .. Pea Nuts .. Almonds .. Cheese .. eggs .. and today LM veggie sausages .. mushrooms ... I have never worried about protein as I count my carbs to keep my sugar down,, I have been veggies for so many years now and not had any problems so far !
Good to know. Thank you. I've only counted animal/ fish protein because it raises me but never tracked veggie p. I must get weighing!
I eat far less protein than lots of people and do just fine as well