Type 1 Warm weather and levels

JimMcM

Hi all,

I'm type1 a cpl of years now, and am quite well managed all the time, I rarely have any issues of any sort thankfully. Yesterday, and especially today though, I had a massive rise in levels, and extremely rapidly at that. Basically, I've been off work for the Easter holidays, and I've been working outside. I was 3 hours in the garden yest, started feeling very tired, checked my Libre, and I'd gone up to 24!! That was from 9.5 three hours earlier and it took all evening to come down again properly...

At 2.00 today I was around 8.0 on the Libre, tested myself and yeah 8.2. Had a bowl of homemade soup, and 1 slice of wholemeal bread (15g carbs) and I injected accordingly. I sat in the garden for an hour and it was extremely warm, came back in, checked my Libre and i'm 21!!!

The Libre shows my level skyrocketing at the time I was in the garden.. Does hot weather do this?? It's really frustrating when you know you're doing everything as you should, and then this lol. My carb counting and dosage counting is bang on because my daughter cooks and counts everything with me, and she attends my clinic appts with me, and they've told her its all good. This just threw me today.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm type1 a cpl of years now, and am quite well managed all the time, I rarely have any issues of any sort thankfully. Yesterday, and especially today though, I had a massive rise in levels, and extremely rapidly at that. Basically, I've been off work for the Easter holidays, and I've been working outside. I was 3 hours in the garden yest, started feeling very tired, checked my Libre, and I'd gone up to 24!! That was from 9.5 three hours earlier and it took all evening to come down again properly...

At 2.00 today I was around 8.0 on the Libre, tested myself and yeah 8.2. Had a bowl of homemade soup, and 1 slice of wholemeal bread (15g carbs) and I injected accordingly. I sat in the garden for an hour and it was extremely warm, came back in, checked my Libre and i'm 21!!!

The Libre shows my level skyrocketing at the time I was in the garden.. Does hot weather do this?? It's really frustrating when you know you're doing everything as you should, and then this lol. My carb counting and dosage counting is bang on because my daughter cooks and counts everything with me, and she attends my clinic appts with me, and they've told her its all good. This just threw me today.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Hi Jim,

In my case the hotter weather leaves me more insulin sensitive. Then there's the graft soaking up the rays..

First thing I would ask is how long did you inject prior to eating at 2pm.
Secondly soup & bread. Is that a typo on the "15g" of carbs? Sorry, had to ask some slices of bread alone could be a a few grams higher..?
Is there a possibility your insulin could have gone off?

Great weather we are having though.. :cool:

JimMcM

Hi Jaylee,

Thanks for the reply. I injected 20 mins prior to eating, as I always do. Sorry, was a slight typo alright lol. The bread was 15.8 g of carbs, and my daughter has the soup portioned out in the fridge for me at 30g carb portions. That gave me 46g carbs, I was slightly high, so injected 6 units... I'm on a 10 to 1 ratio. As for my Insulin, it was a brand new pen of it today. Yesterdays was from a different box batch all together and ran out at supper last night.

I vaguely remember reading a post away back, with regards to diabetes and travelling to Disneyland Florida.. A lot of people had different reactions to the heat, and it was advised to carry way more insulin with you, and more snacks too i think...

Awhh its glorious here in Ireland... Hope it lasts lol.

JimMcM

Jaylee,

I forgot to say.... I'm back in the house abt an hour now, and I'm dropping already!!!! I did absolutely nothing when i had the high reading.. no injections of any sort... im back down to14 and dropping

jim

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JimMcM ,

Absolutly fantastic here in the southwest of England too..
Keep a close eye on that drop.

So your bolus for the meal alone it bringing you back down?
You rotating injection sites? Sometimes its can be easy to get comfortable with the same spot, delaying absorption?

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @JimMcM, did you do a fingerpick test as well as looking at the Libre reading when the Libre said you were 24? If you were working outdoors on a hot day, and working quite hard, then it may be possible that the effects of exercise (and the warmer temperatures leading to loss of fluid) would have led to a greater concentration of glucose within interstitial fluid.

I’m not sure I understood this entire article but Section 4 looks at interstitial glucose and exercise.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5793321/

It’s also a good idea to check with a blood test when a Libre reading’s higher than 12 or so as in my experience the higher a reading, the less accurate the Libre becomes. Those highs are bad enough without a device conspiring to make us even more concerned!
I’m glad your glucose levels fell again.

Lovely sun here in the South East today, and the weeds are enjoying it too. Clay soil makes for tough digging in this weather.