Warmer weather

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I hope someone can help. I've been diagnosed type 1 for around 10 weeks, also I'm 14 weeks pregnant.
So it's been the warmest day of the year today and I've experienced 3 hypos.
Does the warmer weather make diabetes harder to handle?

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I hope someone can help. I've been diagnosed type 1 for around 10 weeks, also I'm 14 weeks pregnant.
Never been pregnant yet myself... (I am a guy) :)
But can confirm that warmer weather makes:
- my metabolism run faster (so need for less insulin)
- its more challenging to feel I am going low on bg (so more easily exposed to going hypo).
So YES, warmer weather makes it overall more challenging to stay in good low bg control until getting more experience with the required insulin regime and picking up the warning signals despite the heat you might be in. Your added weight probably makes it even more challenging. Best wishes for your next 26+ weeks and than the next many years ahead - Nothing more fun and exiting in life than getting kids despite 'the trouble' they bring along !! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I had quite sudden drop a short while ago and posted up on here. A couple of people told me that if you're hot it can speed up your insulin absorption rate. Fun isn't it.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel for you...what dreadful timing...like you don't have enough to worry about.

I had my daughter pre pregnancy so can't comment on that side of things, but there is a 'pregnancy' forum under 'children teens and parents' who may be better placed to give more specific advice.

But yes...warmer weather will affect your insulin absorption rate and make it harder to maintain control, maybe you could eating little and often using smaller doses to avoid some of the lows.

Good luck...I hope you figure it out

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had quite sudden drop a short while ago and posted up on here. A couple of people told me that if you're hot it can speed up your insulin absorption rate. Fun isn't it.
Like warm Spa baths, sauna, or intense sports are such accelerators.

GoldenMouse

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You should increase intake of fluids while you should strictly avoid sugar intake because heat can affect your blood glucose (sugar) levels and also increase the absorption of some fast-acting insulin, meaning you will need to test your blood glucose more often and perhaps adjust your intake of insulin, food, and liquids.

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks that's helped a lot, so much to learn still. I've been much more level today and it's a lot cooler.