Warranty ending

Joe261985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

My warranty is due to end on my 640g in February and I was just wondering what everyone's experiences have been duri g lockdown.

I have always been quite well controlled and as such generally just have check up appointments as required with my consultant and the odd phonecall to the diabetic nurse to sort small issues, questions etc.

But with the lockdown I have had no contact except one phonecall with the nurse when medtronic were struggling to supply infusion sets and I had to go back on injections for a couple of weeks earlier last year.

Now though my pump is due to end warranty in February and I know that is usually when it starts the discussions for a new pump. I am self funding dexcom and have been for a few years now after trying libre anf like many not being happen with the accuracy. With this I am happy to continue self funding but definitely would like to go for the T slim to get the most out of both pump and cgm.

I was just wondering how has everyone been finding the upgrade process currently. Have you been contacted by the hospital and if so how long before the warranty ran out or have you had to chase? Has anyone not been able to upgrade and if so what areas do you fall under?

Thanks.

Reactions: Maco

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Joe,

I enquired about going back onto a pump after a 10 year break in November, on the 7th of January I received my 780G with the guardian 3 CGM. So in regards to new pumps etc during the lockdowns I think everything is still moving along quickly. Training is done over Microsoft teams & if you already have a knowledge of pumps it’ll be pretty simple for you.

The 780G is a brilliant pump & when the guardian CGM is working correctly the automode features are really impressive. My time in target compared to injections is incredibly!! But, there’s always a but. I’m finding the guardian 3 absolutely rubbish & when I say rubbish I mean terrible. Before I got my pump I did a bit research and I saw tonnes of review from people in America saying how bad the CGM was but I’d already told the hospital to order the 780 so I just had to run with it.

If I’m honest I choose not to listen to them reviews but now I’m finding them absolutely correct. Last Thursday I got an alarm saying my sensor had failed, so I removed it & fitted another which then instantly failed again. On the 7th attempt I finally got one working & then that one failed yesterday. So that’s 8 sensors in less than a week I’ve gone through. I’m seriously thinking about not bothering with the CGM anymore & just running the pump in manual mode so I don’t have the hassles anymore.

I seriously wish my hospital had offered me the tandem with the dexcom now because I see loads of positive reviews about that system compared to Medtronics!

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Joe261985, my warranty ran out in September (then extended to November by Medtronic) and as yet I haven't been able to get my new pump. Pre-covid I was looking at getting a new one in July, so before the warranty expired, as I've moved hospitals since getting my pump and July was when everyone else at the new hospital's ran out. I've had a few phone calls from the clinic to see which pump I wanted, so it's been ordered and is sitting at the hospital waiting but no news on when I can get it yet. I have a phone appointment with my consultant next week so will be asking him if there's any news yet, but as other peoples warranties ran out before mine, I'd rather they got sorted first as I believe they're now doing individual pump appointments, instead of a group session. Fortunately I had to get a replacement pump under warranty in May so I'm optimistic it'll be ok until I get the new one.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Joe261985, my warranty ran out in September (then extended to November by Medtronic) and as yet I haven't been able to get my new pump. Pre-covid I was looking at getting a new one in July, so before the warranty expired, as I've moved hospitals since getting my pump and July was when everyone else at the new hospital's ran out. I've had a few phone calls from the clinic to see which pump I wanted, so it's been ordered and is sitting at the hospital waiting but no news on when I can get it yet. I have a phone appointment with my consultant next week so will be asking him if there's any news yet, but as other peoples warranties ran out before mine, I'd rather they got sorted first as I believe they're now doing individual pump appointments, instead of a group session. Fortunately I had to get a replacement pump under warranty in May so I'm optimistic it'll be ok until I get the new one.

Is there a reason the hospital can’t post your new pump? My 780G was delivered directly to me & I completed my training in a group session of 4.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is there a reason the hospital can’t post your new pump? My 780G was delivered directly to me & I completed my training in a group session of 4.
I don't know the reason. Maybe they hoped things would improve and they could do the group sessions, not sure though.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't know the reason. Maybe they hoped things would improve and they could do the group sessions, not sure though.

Maybe give them a call? I know medtronic are doing training sessions by microsoft teams.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Joe261985 - My Accu Chek warranty ran out last Apr and I chose to go onto the omnipod but mu delay was due to a technical error on the Dash model. I got my new pump posted end Nov and completed the training via Zoom in early Dec. HTH & hope you get it soon

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe give them a call? I know medtronic are doing training sessions by microsoft teams.
I'm sure if they thought sending them out was a good idea, they would have done it.

Joe261985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all the replies.

Really helpful to know what's happening although it does seem like everything with the NHS there is no set rule looking at some of the differences you have above.

I will give it a couple of weeks and see if they contact me and if jot I will then start the process contacting the diabetes team.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fair enough. Your loss
I don't think it someone's loss its just how different area's work the UK does not have a one rule for all, which I think is bad but then I live in France, where it is one rule for all here if you full fill the criteria you get it if you don't you don't, there is no difference where you live

Reactions: sleepster

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't think it someone's loss its just how different area's work the UK does not have a one rule for all, which I think is bad but then I live in France, where it is one rule for all here if you full fill the criteria you get it if you don't you don't, there is no difference where you live

This is the main problem I have with the NHS. Criteria’s across the country actually disgust me. If sleepsters pump is sat there at the hospital on the DSN’s desk what good is that to anyone? If sleepsters warranty has ran out on his old pump that means he’s had it at least 4 year so is quite clearly a seasoned pumper who knows the ins & outs. Also the Medtronic training team have quite clearly had processes in place since the first lockdown to carry out group training sessions virtually via zoom or teams. So from my point of view the hospital has no excuses to not get the pump sent out.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Maco I appreciate you're trying to be helpful, but I was told I would hear when there was any news. The decision has been made not to send them out, and regardless of whether any of us like it or not, It's not up to us, it's up to them and I am not going to be phoning them to attempt to change their mind. They know I am waiting and as I said I have a phone appointment next week and will be asking about it then.

p.s I'm a she, not a he ;)

Last edited:

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@sleepster Sorry about that, now I understand how you’ve been so patient I’m a typical man & would of been straight through the hospital for my pump haha!

what pump are you upgrading to?