Wartime rations

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found this really interesting. Just been reading about wartime rations and apparently diabetics could surrender their sugar ration allowance for more butter meat and cheese.
Do you have a link, for the source, please, @Ruthiecbrown ?
It would be of interest to those who follow low carb way of eating.

D

Deleted member 308541

Seems that no thought given in the regulations for those who needed Sugar to treat hypo.
I do not think enemy submarine captains / crews would not target ships because it was carrying sugar as cargo because it was hypo fix for diabetics

That was the whole idea of rationing sharing the resources available with the greater amount in need.

Diabetics had a 1 pound of lollies and also 1 pound of sugar, 2 pound of marmalade ration to last a month so they were not denied anything really.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well for those of us that heavily rely on sugar at times, butter, meat and cheese certainly wont get me out of a hypo!
Wouldn’t it have been optional rather than compulsory? Or able to have been varied as needed? Or swapped with plenty willing to gain extra sugar

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you look at the table listing supplementary allowances etc. you'll find that there was a sugar allowance for hypos:

upload_2020-3-16_9-37-3.png

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did I read somewhere we need to carry 6 grammes of sugar in our bloodstream? If so 450 grammes per week above seems a lot just to reverse hypo