Type 2 Washing hands

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's best to have clean hands for no contaminants can be drawn up when taking a sample of blood. It does not take much to throw the test. This is my understanding.
There are times when I haven't washed and the number is believable and sometimes the numbers are way high... with the latter the numbers often do come down after having washed hands...
It's best to take it off the table.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is it best to wash your hands before testing ?

you can actually have touched something that changes the blood-tests result, you can also with your needle inject bacteria directly into your body which can lead to infections... like if you have touched something with salmonelle bacteria... or streptococcus

but usually nothing happens because the needle stitch is not that deep

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you have something sweet on your hands like fruit juice if you have been eating fruit, or sugar or chocolate, even toothpaste it could affect the reading.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have something sweet on your hands like fruit juice if you have been eating fruit, or sugar or chocolate, even toothpaste it could affect the reading.
Or apparently some soaps can contain sugars! And I used to use a hand cream that contained some sweet tasting ingredients and had to make quite sure there was none of it left on my hands before testing.

Robbity

Reactions: Prem51