Ways to control sugar levels

abhishekm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Mates,

Please suggest diff ways to control sugar levels. Couple of which I have in my mind are...

1. Obviously, our diet
2. Medication
3. Cycling or jogging.

Apart from this any other ways..???

Thanks, Abhishek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That just about covers it. Of course the diet is infinitely variable and there is a whole range of medication and you left walking off your exercise list. Walking is quite effective.

Grillpan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You have covered it for sure, diet is highest on the list according to my Doctor. The only thing you can look into is the type of exercise that you want to get into.

Walking is good as is cycling, I would avoid jogging depending on your age, weight and previous exercise history. It’s really hard to get into and it plays havoc on your knees even on a tread mill. I think that the most effective sports are swimming or rowing which are both zero impact and use the highest amount of muscle groups for the best effect and are for any age group.

Also plenty clubs out there that turns exercise into a social and fun event which I believe is the most important thing for sustaining.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing I changed was my diet and it has been enough to take me down to non diabetic numbers.

Mick1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As above, changed eating habits, mainly avoiding sugary or very high carb foods and getting normal readings. I walk for half hour a couple of times per week, but this appears to be far more beneficial to my blood pressure than blood sugar. Metformin doesn't appear to do a lot to bring down my blood sugar, but it is supposed to be beneficial in other ways so I continue to take it. So for me, it's all about what I eat.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Agreed...for me it's all about avoiding simple carbs (eg. bread, cereal, pasta, spuds, rice..pretty much most things that are above 10g of carbs per 100g of product), and plenty of fluids (I drink 2.5 to 3 litres a day). While walking is good for all kinds of reasons, anaerobic bursts (eg. suit ups, lunges, sprints) are better at wrecking carbs and lowering levels (although to be frank..I cannae be ar@ed with it most of the time). Aside from that, there is no doubt that, for me, recording what I ate and its impact on readings was the single most important weapon in combating the evil sugar fairies and their carbohydrate fuelled minions.