We Need Better Advice Perhaps??

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
From Diabetes UK's latest newsletter.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/New ... -problems/

Diabetes UK calls for better support

“Diabetes UK is calling for better support for people with diabetes on World Diabetes Day to manage their diabetes. People with diabetes make decisions about their diabetes management every day and want to maintain an independent, healthy and active life. If they need support to achieve this, it should be widely available.

"They need the services and support to help them make informed decisions and achieve their own self-management goals that will in the long term prevent the development of complications.

Perhaps better advice to newly diagnosed diabetics would save the NHS quite a lot of money in future complications ?

Take this advice for instance.

Don't worry ...

... you can still join in the festive fun if you have diabetes.

There are no 'forbidden' foods but remember that festive fare does tend to be higher in fat and calories than everyday food... so go easy on the mince pies, and those moreish Christmas selection boxes...

Nowhere does it mention carbohydrates !!

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... Christmas/

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
DUK does more harm than good. They should ONLY employ diabetics. Most everything I read on that site makes me shake my head in disbelief. Have you checked out their recipes section? Joke.

I'm sure there are people that base there diabetes management directly on what is on that site. They make all the recipes, eat in line with DUK/NHS advice, etc, etc... THESE are the people that, through no fault of their own, will find that Diabetes IS a progressive disease. It's actually the advice that they are receiving that is CAUSING the progression.

DUK is gonna have A LOT to answer for in the future. :?

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
It is a desperately sad situation and it is very similar here in Australia. At a Christmas luncheon of the local diabetes group I have just joined, a woman next to me was vaguely interested in why I ate what I did. She would say things like "but the dietician said that you can have a couple ofscoops of low fat ice cream, not every day of course!" She doesn't test because she is doing what she has been told to do and believes that all must be good in the BGL department.

Just looked at the "Fresh Spring Ideas for healthy eating" in the Conquest magazine (Official magazine of Diabetes Australia) and they do provide the nutritional information at the end of each recipe and the GI rating. The best carb recipe contains 32.8 gr per serve (Citrus Compote) while the worst had 111.1 gr per serve (Pork loin with cous cous and apples).

In the same magazine a great article about a young T1 who went on a school trip to China and found that eating fresh vegetables and rice and exercising all day allowed her to have great diabetes control--which surprised her as she wasn't eating a lot of carbohydrates. Wonder why that was??!!!!!