We will blind you with Laser,to stop you going blind!!

Carl Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are there other Diabetics out there who have been lasered and feel that this only makes it worse. I have had thousands of burns in each eye and am now registered Severly Sight Impaired (Blind). You get told that everywhere the laser hits your retina it will blind that spot, you ask the question "What will happen if I do not have the treatment"? and the answer you get is "You will go blind". So is there only me who cannot understand how being blinded is good prevention for going blind.
I don't let them anywhere near me now and I will take the risk with what bit of sight I have left.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I get your point. There is a dark irony there..

I've not had laser treatment. But i have had anti-VEGF jabs in the eyes for a macula edema.
However, i found focus on my BG management helped too? (Easier said than done.)
I don't claim to ever have the eyes of a "sniper." just keep for as long as possible, what i got.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If that bold text was intended @Jaylee for Carl's benefit, then great credit to you

Mike, yep if was attempting to make it as user friendly as I could.
To be fair there are some great accesabilty features on devices that can help with visual impairment.
I have to admit, 5 years ago before the treatment for my condition I was starting to explore devices with this feature..
But encouraging results have meant I no longer need to pinch & zoom. Unless my eyes get a little tired.
I literally grabbed every appointment for my eyes with both hands.

I'll stick my neck out.
I feel our friend Carl may be at a low ebb. Rock & a hard place.?

I'll tag in @himtoo who I believe has had laser treatment many moons ago..

I'll also tag in @Dark Horse who may also help out with the "science?"

Reactions: Struma and himtoo

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Many people woulda missed the gesture ...but I know you well enough by now. Glad to hear the news about your checks :)

MD

Reactions: jjraak

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many people woulda missed the gesture ...but I know you well enough by now. Glad to hear the news about your checks :)

MD

I just wouldn't wish for Carl to miss out on at least the ability (as he puts it.) to see the "Moon." (Another topic.)

Dark Horse

Using laser treatment to treat severe diabetic retinopathy is a trade-off - some peripheral vision and night vision is sacrificed to try and maintain the central vision that is important for tasks such as reading, watching television or looking at people's faces.

Just to explain: -
When the small capillaries in the retina have been badly damaged by high blood glucose levels, they start closing down and can no longer supply enough blood (and therefore nutrients) to the surrounding retina. The retina responds by producing VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor) which causes new blood vessels to grow. Unfortunately, these blood vessels are very fragile and can rupture which leaks blood into the eye (vitreous haemorrhage). This blood obscures the retina, causing visual loss, until the blood clears, either naturally (over a period of months) or during a vitrectomy operation.

PRP (pan-retinal photocoagulation) laser destroys parts of the retina in order to stop them from producing VEGF. This reduces the risk of further sight-loss from more new vessels growing. PRP laser is targeted in the periphery (edges) of the eye, leaving the central part clear to preserve central vision. Ophthalmologists try to use the minimum effective dose as they are well aware that too much laser damage in the periphery can mean that people may lose their driving licence if their peripheral vision is too bad. However, sometimes the diabetic retinopathy is so advanced that the maximum amount of laser needs to be given, thereby sacrificing peripheral vision in order to maximise the chances of preserving central vision.

Unfortunately, despite the best treatment, the diabetic retinopathy can be so bad that the central vision also becomes poor. At this point, becoming registered as SI (sight-impaired) of SSI (severely sight-impaired) can be useful as it makes various benefits available. https://www.rnib.org.uk/eye-health/registering-your-sight-loss

I understand that you may feel that the treatment process has failed you but I would urge you to still attend your ophthalmology appointments. One possible consequence of having had new vessels is a retinal detachment. Although an SSI registration means that your vision is poor, it is still useful vision. A retinal detachment could lead to a complete loss of sight. Your ophthalmology department may have an ECLO (eye clinic liaison officer) and it would be worth talking to them - they are often better at explaining things in laypersons' terms than the ophthalmologists are.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are there other Diabetics out there who have been lasered and feel that this only makes it worse. I have had thousands of burns in each eye and am now registered Severly Sight Impaired (Blind). You get told that everywhere the laser hits your retina it will blind that spot, you ask the question "What will happen if I do not have the treatment"? and the answer you get is "You will go blind". So is there only me who cannot understand how being blinded is good prevention for going blind.
I don't let them anywhere near me now and I will take the risk with what bit of sight I have left.
I also had many laser burns which did not work (it is an unpleasant treatment) and the retinopathy just proliferated resulting in severe sight loss (bleeds in both eyes) but thankfully an op (vitrectomy) which saved my sight although I am still a VIP!
It wasn't the lasering that damaged me but the roller coaster sugars and hormones (having been recently pregnant) that my poor eyes experienced. If your eyes are not responding to the treatment it would be worth asking if there are other options and of course doing your best to keep your bgs low. Good Luck and I hope your sight doesn't deteriorate.

Reactions: Antje77

Carl Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks to all of you who replied to me on this subject, that is very kind to take the time and I really appreciate it. I had 3 sessions of laser under general anaesthetic and the sight from my right eye had gone when I woke up after the 3rd lot. I am not going to the ey clinic anymore I will take my chance with the sight I have still got. If I lose sight in my left eye then it will be good night anyway. Many thaanks again for your comments it is good to know how others are coping with this complication.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks to all of you who replied to me on this subject, that is very kind to take the time and I really appreciate it. I had 3 sessions of laser under general anaesthetic and the sight from my right eye had gone when I woke up after the 3rd lot. I am not going to the ey clinic anymore I will take my chance with the sight I have still got. If I lose sight in my left eye then it will be good night anyway. Many thaanks again for your comments it is good to know how others are coping with this complication.

Hi Carl,

I fully understand your decision based on your experience.
& I empathise that this stuff is a kick in the teeth.

How is your general BG managment Inspite of all this, it may help just a little to keep what you have with focus in that direction.?

It is easier said than done, but may stabilise in the longer run..

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being bitten by cats. And women.

Carl. I feel the same way. My faith in medics falls every year.