Wearing a patch pump: do they stick to the body well?

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
What are your experiences with wearing a patch pump like the Omnipod or Kaleido? Do they stick well on your skin? Or do they loosen when you sweat? Or when you change clothes? Can you stick them on your belly and do they stick even with a belt on? Or when bending over a lot (for example when gardening or housecleaning)? Can they be placed on the legs? How many days do you keep it on? Any experience is welcome!
Thanks!
Rianne

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
What are your experiences with wearing a patch pump like the Omnipod or Kaleido? Do they stick well on your skin? Or do they loosen when you sweat? Or when you change clothes? Can you stick them on your belly and do they stick even with a belt on? Or when bending over a lot (for example when gardening or housecleaning)? Can they be placed on the legs? How many days do you keep it on? Any experience is welcome!
Thanks!
Rianne

I'm not a pumper, but @Mel dCP uses an omnipod, if I recall correctly. Therre are others, but my mind just isn't recalling then right now.

Reactions: Rianne
D

Deleted Account

I am just trialling a dummy (no brain) Medtrum patch pump. I can confirm it sticks well and have asked Medtrum about sweatiness for which they say it is tested.
Regarding changing clothes, they would depend on where you put it and how you change your clothes. But I have been wearing the Medtrum below my belly button (and below where a belt would go) and had no problem pulling tight leggings up and down over it.
The reason for the leggings was a gym visit where I am pretty flexible. It stuck without any problems during running, cycling, weight lifting, stomach crunches and stretching. I would not expect gardening to give it a more rigorous workout.
The advice is that you can put it on arms and legs. However, I will avoid these areas because rigorous movement of these areas will increase absorption rates and, with my daily exercise, this could cause problems for me.
The Medtrum (and I believe the OmniPod) are designed to stay on for 3 days at a time and will stop working after 80 hours.

Looking at their FAQ regarding placement, this looks generic for any patch pump:
When choosing the location for the pump, consider the following:
That you can comfortably reach the pump.
-That you apply the Pump to a flat area of skin with adequate subcutaneous fat.
-That the area stays flat during normal daily activities without bending or creasing.
When choosing the location for the pump, avoid the following:
- Areas that are constrained by clothing, such as the belt line or waist.
-Curved or rigid areas due to muscle or bone.
-Areas that involve rigorous movement during exercise.
-Areas of skin with scars, tattoos, or irritation.
-5.0 cm (2 inches) around the navel.
- Areas with excess hair.
There is a lot of information like this available on the pump websites and lots of youtube videos.

Jodie1154

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi you can wear the omnipod on the arms legs stomach and the back and you keep the pod on for 3 days and it doesn’t come off when changing no clothes

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, Helensamaray! Sounds like it is pretty wearable with all the things you do with it. Did you have a 'normal' pump before this trial? If so, can you already say anything about what has your preference, a normal pump or a patch pump, and why? I will also visit youtube to find out more.

D

Deleted Account

Thanks, Helensamaray! Sounds like it is pretty wearable with all the things you do with it. Did you have a 'normal' pump before this trial? If so, can you already say anything about what has your preference, a normal pump or a patch pump, and why? I will also visit youtube to find out more.
I am currently an Animas tubey pump user. The Animas is my first pump and we have a love - hate relationship. I love the variable basal rates which I use a lot especially for exercise. I hate that it is big and clunky so I can't hide it ... or my diabetes.
I am nervous about changing to a patch pump because I really will be connected all the time (sometimes I remove my Animas for exercise and enjoy my "freedom" ) and can't move it around (sometimes it is clipped to my belt at the back, sometimes the front and when I am watching TV at home, it is lying next to me on the sofa) but look forward to hiding my pump and not worrying about remembering to reattach and looking forward to wearing a dress and not have to hitch up my skirt to get my pump out when eating.

Reactions: porl69 and Rianne

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks again, helensaramay. I recognize what you describe. Especially the feeling of freedom. And the love-hate relationship. It seems that no current pump really matches all my needs and wishes. I hope you can change soon and enjoy the added value for you!

Reactions: Kim Possible

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, Jodie1154. Good to read that you have good experience with it too, and that it does not come off.