Week diagnosed

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was recently taken into hospital due to my ketones being 6.1 and blood sugar 18 last week and diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I’m a 21 year old and like going out at the weekends and have a holiday coming up also, wondering if anyone has any tips on how to deal with this better?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @lorna_fletcher
By how to deal with it better, do you mean physically or emotionally?
You are newly diagnosed and this is a lot to take in. But do go for your night out and try to have fun, life is about more than numbers.
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: lorna_fletcher

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @lorna_fletcher
By how to deal with it better, do you mean physically or emotionally?
You are newly diagnosed and this is a lot to take in. But do go for your night out and try to have fun, life is about more than numbers.
Welcome to the forum.

I’m dealing with it emotionally well I think, just a lot of confusion with diet etc but I have weekly meetings just now to help with that, just more physical. How to deal with taken sugars etc cause toilets aren’t hygienic but I don’t want to offend people if I need to take more insulin etc

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
OK. So, are you carb counting and correcting yet or do the medics have you on a fixed dose? If carb counting inject what is right for the meal. If you are high later you can correct but be cautious with doses at first as you may still be producing some insulin naturally.
As for offending people - this is where I get militant- insulin is keeping you alive, better to inject in public than in a dirty loo. Of course you can do this without waving the pen around your head first and showing everyone your abs (unless it's that sort of night out).
Are you planning on drinking alcohol?