Weetabix for breakfast

Jakeinhd1995

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had weetabix for breakfast...bloods went from 4.7 to max 7.3 and then came back down to 6 after 1 hour

Thoughts?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you test again after 2 hours?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Using a cgm, I'm down to 5.6

Finger prick is 6.4

But I had some nuts with the weetabix too...with full fat milk
In my experience the Libre 2’s algorithm predicts where the BGs are “now” whilst the meter is 20 minutes behind..? (Approx.)
There was a whole discussion somewhere on here years ago regarding reaction to testing with a hypo?

I see this consistently with my meter & sensor.

To my mind your numbers don’t seem too bad. But it would be interesting to follow what the milk does a while later..?

Reactions: filly

Jakeinhd1995

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience the Libre 2’s algorithm predicts where the BGs are “now” whilst the meter is 20 minutes behind..? (Approx.)
There was a whole discussion somewhere on here years ago regarding reaction to testing with a hypo?

To my mind your numbers don’t seem too bad. But it would be interesting to follow what the milk does a while later..?
Yeah as milk is slow releasing isn't it...just still trying to get to grips with it all!

Get worried when bloods go up above 7..stresses me out!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah as milk is slow releasing isn't it...just still trying to get to grips with it all!

From my understanding, it’s pretty normal for even a non-diabetic to reach the 7s.
I’ve seen stuff with “bio hackers” using this tech.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Oh weetabix it’s one of the things what I call “ magic“food, I’ve looked at carb contents taken appropriate insulin tried more tried less no matter what I try it just makes my sugars rocket , so now when it comes to ” magic” food I just avoid it

• Agree
Reactions: filly and Pura Vida

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
weetabix is high in carbs...try swapping it with eggs iwth veggies, salad or low carb bread/crackers. Then the spike won't be so high.

• Agree
Reactions: Pura Vida

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

In my experience I don't think it as clean cut as one lag time. To me I see variations anywhere from < 2mins or virtually in step, to 20 mins as you say. Depends on many things, food type, body temp, air temp, current mental state, excercise at the time or previous.......

If you want to do BG level drop over a fixed period, and be accurate (as poss.) finder prick is essential.

Interstitial fluid will always be trend based. Learn to interpret it for your individual situation, and always wait a while if you are in doubt of what you are shown.

Apologies re 'sucking eggs', but someone may find my ramblings useful. Unlikely, but it took a while to type;).

Reactions: JenniferM55

Jakeinhd1995

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience I don't think it as clean cut as one lag time. To me I see variations anywhere from < 2mins or virtually in step, to 20 mins as you say. Depends on many things, food type, body temp, air temp, current mental state, excercise at the time or previous.......

If you want to do BG level drop over a fixed period, and be accurate (as poss.) finder prick is essential.

Interstitial fluid will always be trend based. Learn to interpret it for your individual situation, and always wait a while if you are in doubt of what you are shown.

Apologies re 'sucking eggs', but someone may find my ramblings useful. Unlikely, but it took a while to type;).
Thank you for this...well an update...here's my graph for today so far .

I had a spike then came crashing down..was at 3.6 - I'm diet controlled so not a major issue but felt like **** anyway!

Had to have 2 eggs and a half of a blt sandwich on malted bread.

Our lives just seem to be controlled by constant monitoring and numbers! Anyone who is type 1 / type 2 insulin dependant I take my hats of to you for having to do the job of the pancreas 24/7 .. I struggle with diet controlled!!!
Screenshot_20231216_155905.jpg

sgm14

Got any links to them?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6057684/

Importantly, we found that even individuals considered normoglycemic by standard measures exhibit high glucose variability using CGM, with glucose levels reaching prediabetic and diabetic ranges 15% and 2% of the time, respectively.

It is interesting to note that although individuals respond differently to different foods, there are some foods that result in elevated glucose in the majority of adults. A standardized meal of cornflakes and milk caused glucose elevation in the prediabetic range (>140 mg/dl) in 80% of individuals in our study. It is plausible that these commonly eaten foods might be adverse for the health of the majority of adults in the world population.

140 mg/dl is 7.77 mmol/l

Note, I'm just linking to the article, not endorsing it.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

There has often been a lack of knowledge about what expected non-diabetic reactions to carb intake looks like, even though there's been a fair bit of research around. This is from 2007, and is from the US, so uses mg/dl etc. so conversion table attached.

it might also be worth having a Google around for "non-diabetic" CGM graphs. Plenty of ups and downs and readings above 9mmol/l.

Attachments

• BG  UK copy.jpg
    BG UK copy.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Jakeinhd1995