Weight and muscle loss

mcqueen 64

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm 6foot4 and 11stone 3lb not only have I dropped 5 stone but I've lost all my strength .I have a manual job but even when I tence my biceps there just soft mush .take 75000 creon with meals and inject with all food .my sugar levels were high for a long time but over the last month I've been religiously testing and making sure my levels are right.im after diet ideas that will help me put weight on and also increas muscle. I walk over 5 mile a day with my dogs in a hilly area so don't class myself as unfit .

mcqueen 64

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
The weight loss is due to having chronic Pancreatitis would like to be around 13 stone

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm 6foot4 and 11stone 3lb not only have I dropped 5 stone but I've lost all my strength .I have a manual job but even when I tence my biceps there just soft mush .take 75000 creon with meals and inject with all food .my sugar levels were high for a long time but over the last month I've been religiously testing and making sure my levels are right.im after diet ideas that will help me put weight on and also increas muscle. I walk over 5 mile a day with my dogs in a hilly area so don't class myself as unfit .
How long have you been losing weight and how much of it was intentional (eg by controlling blood glucose) and how much in excess of that?

Are you prioritising good fats for weight and protein for muscles ? And I’m afraid I don’t know what enzyme supplements (I assume creon doesn’t do everything) you’d need but are you getting all the ones you need to utilise that food properly

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, well done on the weight loss, amazing! I changed my food range to help with pre diabetes and I lost a stone without planning, colleagues at work kept asking if I was ill. So I tried to add muscle, like you I walked and walked but nothing changed, a friend of mine who is a fitness professional told me walking is great but not for building muscle. I now do weight lifting every other day, I am seeing an improvement in my muscle strength but have a way to go yet. Not sure if that helps, but thats my journey thus far. Good luck, you will get there.

ps Davina McCall has a great, free video via YouTube called ‘top fit’ it’s pretty good and fun.
I see you’re new to the forum. Welcome. It’s always worth checking what type the poster is as sometimes what’s great and welcome for one type isn’t such good news for another. Eg the weight loss in this case. Good ideas for the weight based exercise though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
my sugar levels were high for a long time but over the last month I've been religiously testing and making sure my levels are right
Those high levels until a month ago meant that you were literally starving. With too little insulin your body couldn't use the energy you gave it with food.
Recovering from such a period of starvation takes time.

Are you still losing weight now your BG is lower?
Often, people see they'll regain what they need once the insulin starts doing its job.

mcqueen 64

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
All the weight loss was due to illness I was 16 stone but muscle at 6foot4 I was in a 34 inch trousers.i joined the site to try and get some answers tipe 3c my diabetic nurse had not even herd of it.i know without creon I get no nutrition from my food but my knowledge is very limited

• Hug
Reactions: filly

mcqueen 64

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Those high levels until a month ago meant that you were literally starving. With too little insulin your body couldn't use the energy you gave it with food.

Recovering from such a period of starvation takes time.

Are you still losing weight now your BG is lower?

Often, people see they'll regain what they need once the insulin starts dlb oing itI have droppe7ld My s job.

Ye I dropped 9 lb

I've dropped 9 lb in the last month since I started injecting agen and started eating healthy. I was using energy drinks at work to give me a boost and eating all the wrong foods for diabetes. My levels are staying around the 6 mark anything under 5 and I feel ill start getting cold sweats.