Weight gain and tiredness..................

ThinType2

Some of you may have seen my previous posts saying how tired I felt an that I had gained a little bit of a belly............turns out I am pregnant which is good news......trying not to get to anxious now as my doctor only picked up the fact I was diabetic after I suffered two miscarriages in 2006...obsessed about keeping my levels OK........

Anyone else on the forum had experience with dealing with diabetes when pregnant?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Sorry - can't help you with that one!!

But congratulations.

sugar

Yeah!!!! Fantastic news...and what a lovely reason to put on weight and be tired! I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with baby number 2...so I can understand exactly where you are coming from. The key things I have learnt is to keep your BG under really tight control..and get yourself reffered to the diabetic/maternity people ASAP. I am T!, and tehy have helped me a great deal...although I do spend a lot of time at hospital appointments, it is so worth it.
Are you T1 or T2? I am no expert on T2s, but as T1 they automatically class you as high risk....which is a scary phrase. Initially, they do like T1s to take lots of folic acid...more than usual expecatant Mums...so definately ask your Dr about that if they haven't sorted this out already. If I can help at all, just let me know. Congratulations!

Lady J

Congratulations!

I have just emailed you some information direct, Thintype2 which you might find useful.

Take care

LJ

ThinType2

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sugar</i>
<br />Yeah!!!! Fantastic news...and what a lovely reason to put on weight and be tired! I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with baby number 2...so I can understand exactly where you are coming from. The key things I have learnt is to keep your BG under really tight control..and get yourself reffered to the diabetic/maternity people ASAP. I am T!, and tehy have helped me a great deal...although I do spend a lot of time at hospital appointments, it is so worth it.
Are you T1 or T2? I am no expert on T2s, but as T1 they automatically class you as high risk....which is a scary phrase. Initially, they do like T1s to take lots of folic acid...more than usual expecatant Mums...so definately ask your Dr about that if they haven't sorted this out already. If I can help at all, just let me know. Congratulations!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I am already under the diabetes consultant due to the fact that I has two miscarriages in 2006 which may or may not have been attributed to the fact that I was diabetic and did not know it (even though I did get gestational diabetes 15 years ago when I had my son which was treated with diet , I know 15 year gap between siblings I must be mad!)
I have been on high dose folic acid for 12 months and currently my levels are good.

My hospital are not sure what type of diabetes I have, I am not a type 1 but if you met me I am definately what you would call a typical type 2 either, the tests to find out are expensive and would not influence my treatment anyway so my consultant has held off doing any more tests yet.

As you progress through your pregnancy is it harder to keep your levels stable? I ask as my morning readings seem to be creeping up.

Also will it get to the stage where I have to check them in the middle of the night?

sugar

Fantastic about the folic acid...and the levels. Has your diabetic consultant introduced you to the "diabetic midwife", who, if your hospital has one, is an absolute must to go and see. If they haven't, its worth a look. It may be that your consultant does this job themselves...but in any case, you will probably need to go and see them every couple of weeks. As always though, this varies from person to person, and hospita to hospital. Being T1 on insulin, they and I tweak my dosage all teh time. A typical pattern...although by no means always teh case is that BG goes a bit crazy for teh first 12 weeks, and is often high (this was the case in my last pregnancy, but in this one, my BG levels crashed) I guess all I could say on this is that you can't stop what ever is causingthis "madness" but you can do your upmost to manage it, and treat it. Things are a bit calmer in the 2nd trimester..and then in the 3rd, most people BG (and if on insulin requirements) go up a lot. As I said, I spend a lot of time in teh anti natal clinic, waiting to see the diabetic consultant and teh Obsteitrician...and I sit in line with lots of other diabetic women, both T1, T2 and gestational. Some of the T2 are using insulin for the first time to manage their blood sugar...and basically I think the attitude is"do what you need to do" to control it. This must be so difficult, combined with the other delights of pregnancy, so I guess I am lucky in that it is no big shock to me. So, the short answer, I think to your question is yes, it is common to need more medication as you progress through pregnancy, but in my case at least, it was teh start of pregnancy that was teh most difficult to manage diabetes wise.
Testing in the middle ofthe night?? Well, I did at first, becasue my Bg was so erratic, but only do it now on a trip to the loo, if I am worried.
15 years gap! Wow! That must be lovely, although I guess that you are finding that things have changed in 15 years. My little one is 19 months old...so I have the opposite gap.
Again, huge congratulations...and apologies for not realising that your user name should really have told me whether you were T1 T2 or T1.5! Doh!

Thanks for your advise sugar

I'm booked in to see the consultant next week and as you say she runs a fortnightly clinic for pregnant women at my local hospital which I pressume I will be required to attend.

I shall check my levels if I wake up in the night to keep my mind at rest and up my dosage as and when I need to, I've been on on insulin for a year as the consultant was aware that I was trying to get pregnant (I believe there can be side effects with tablets when pregnant) so I'm comfortable changing my units.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

ThinType2

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by </i>
<br />Thanks for your advise sugar

I'm booked in to see the consultant next week and as you say she runs a fortnightly clinic for pregnant women at my local hospital which I pressume I will be required to attend.

I shall check my levels if I wake up in the night to keep my mind at rest and up my dosage as and when I need to, I've been on on insulin for a year as the consultant was aware that I was trying to get pregnant (I believe there can be side effects with tablets when pregnant) so I'm comfortable changing my units.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

<font size="4"><b>Sorry did not log in...this was me!</b></font id="size4">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">