weight gain grrrrrrr

young

im soooo bloody depressed about this weight gain thing .. n i am dreading when im on higher amounts of insulin.its really gettin me down :(
im 17 on the honeymoon period and am only on 6 units of lantus a day n feel i can already feel he weight.Yes i am guna try and go the gym buh there are so many rules u have 2 do before n after it stresses me out !!!!! i jus duno wot 2 do ?! :shock: :x

Natalie

Hi,

I was diagnosed at Christmas and I'd been DKA for about 3 weeks so lost lots of weight quickly, about 2 and a half stone in that time. I was put on Novorapid and had to inject 10 units for every meal. Two weeks later I was weighed and I'd put on all of the weight I lost! This is apparently because my body was in a state of starvation so once it started getting food again it stored as much as possible, and also possibly I was having too much insulin.

But since then I've lost it all again, and some more. I'm not particularly active (although I'm trying to change that now), but a couple of walks a day even makes a difference. Maybe the gym is a good idea, but don't forget that shopping trips and things are exercise too! The main thing was my diet, every time I went to the nurse she'd ask what I ate and suggest things I could cut out.

The point is that don't worry if you put on a little weight, the changes to your lifestyle will remedy that. Your body knows what's best - I'm happy with the way I look now and everyone agrees, whereas when I lost weight initially I just got told I looked 'gaunt' and 'like I was on drugs'!

It might take a while to find the correct levels of insulin but when they do it shouldn't affect your weight :)