Weight gain powder

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Hi guys looking for abit of advice as I'm looking to putting on a little weight.I run 4miles in a morning and going to start weight training on a night so is there any weight gain friendly powder out there that won't cause much of a spike. Currently have 50g of porridge before run after I have 3-4 eggs with cheese and salad,nuts for snack buying the day.sandwich for dinner than chicken veg and 100g of potatoes for tea,sometimes I'll have toast before bed,soya and linseed bread,finding it hard to gain weight with my current diet,bloodsugars are great atm.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most weight gainers have an insane amount of carbs. Usually when i bulk i eat a mix of nuts (no pun intended :D). The amount of carbs vs calls is doable. Some online shops offer a good amount for a reasonable price. I also get about 500-600 calls from protein shakes a day. But usually on a bulking cycle i do need more insulin (about 8-10 units more on a daily basis).

To give an example dry roasted cashew nuts are about 553 Kcal with 30 grams of carbs (for 100 grams) while the first weight gainer i found was 375 kcal and 75 grams of carbs for the same amount. Pine nuts is about 635 kcal and 13,5 grams of carbs for the same amount. Protein content of nuts is also high enough think around 18g for cashew and 25g-ish for pine nuts.

Edit: only major down side is that it's still much more expensive to buy nuts than the average weight gainer.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all, stop running 4 miles a day if you want to gain weight. 2-3 times a week is good for cardio, but it's certainly not going to help you gain weight.

Weight gainer is a huge waste of money and like @qe5rt mentioned, it's just a calorie/carbohydrate bomb. As a type 1, that's incredibly dangerous.

I'm also like him in the sense that I use a lot more insulin when I'm bulking (Usually 25-30 units/day) versus when I'm cutting (at little as 0 units/day). Insulin absolutely promotes weight gain which is why non-diabetic bodybuilders try to spike their insulin levels before/after a workout to maximize their muscle gains.

Long story short: the only way you're going to gain weight is to eat more than you burn. Carbohydrates certainly make gaining weight easier, but they obviously complicate managing your blood sugars.