Side effects from medication
does/can insulin cause weight gain
or increased hunger?
lantus or novorapid?
has anyone gained
using them?

D

Deleted Account

I have used both for over ten years and apart from the initial weight recovery I gained no weight.
Lack of insulin can lead to weight loss - some type 1 deliberately stop taking insulin for this; it is called diabulimia and is incredibly dangerous. This is the body reacting to the high BG by burning muscle (I think) instead of carbs.
Insulin helps get one's BG under control and reverses this toxic weight loss.

To my understanding insulin does not cause weight gain despite the myth. If it did, every type 1 would be overweight as we have no choice but to take it.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't say I can blame insulin for my weight gain... mine has been caused by other medications not for my diabetes.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As @helensaramay said, I only gained my initial recovery weight back butnit was much needed.
I can see where people would gain weight if they keep having hypos and need to feed their insulin.
I might be a bit of an oddity as I eat a very low carb diet. Even before DX three years ago carbs pack the pounds on. I eat less than 20 per day as it also gives me better blood sugar control. I don't digest them well either so I have been eating this way for over 25 years so it was easy to eat my diabetic diet after DX as that's how I've been eating for years. My weight has been the same for years and years minus the weight loss before DX blip.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I gained my recovery weight back after suffering from keytone acidosis which was not a nice experience especially whilst on holiday in Spain.. Lantus and Apidra seem to be working fine. Just need to cut down on the carbs at the moment.