Weight gain

poppy659

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was 8st. 7lbs when diagnosed type2 in January HBa1c was 49 I have cut out all bad stuff and lost just over half a stone I need to gain it back as I am too thin my age is 79 any advice what will help me put that weight back on thanks

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first thought would be nuts. They're not very low in carbs but I would think they're low enough to be fine for most people. For me personally a few handfuls of nuts does nothing to my blood glucose levels. They're packed with calories and nutrients and good snack food, so you could maybe eat nuts after meals or as a snack between meals. Nuts aren't at all cheap if you buy them in small bags from a supermarket but there are suppliers who will ship nuts in large quantities for a more reasonable price, compared to buying them in small bags from a shop. If you Google 'Nuts in bulk' you'll find a couple of suppliers.

Another option is cheese - also packed with calories. Eating cheese and nuts together would be a meal in itself and would very probably help you gain weight I'd imagine.

• Agree
Reactions: filly

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not thin, still needing to lose some weight but just sharing my experience as a T2 diet only keto. I gain weight if I eat too much dairy such as cheese, cream, butter so maybe upping your dairy may help. Also like @HairySmurf says a few nuts - macadamia nuts are the most fat dense nuts with the lowest carb content, mind you they are also the most expensive :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: Pipp and filly

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does depend on what you mean by cutting out the "bad stuff".
You probably need to up your fat intake a bit to get your weight back up with out increasing your blood sugar levels

Nuts are a great addition. Walnuts are possibly the lowest carb ( about 3.3g per 100g) and are cheaper than Macadamia nuts. If you buy bags of 200 or 300g then the price is more reasonable.
Cheese is a very tasty addition to any day!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @poppy659 do you test your blood glucose?
I ask because that is a fair amount if weight to lose if you don't need to and weight loss us a symptom of Type 1 diabetes.
If your blood glucose is high despite your diet change, I recommend visiting your GP.
And if you start experiencing breathing problems along with stomach pain, get to a&e as these are symptoms of DKA.
Sorry, I don't mean to scare you but too many adults diagnosed with Type 1 are initially misdiagnosed with type 2 by ignorant doctors who think you are too old.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm Type 2 and it's taken me 14 years to lose 12 stone to come from 22 stone to just under 10 stone as found out my weight a couple of weeks ago and that's what I am now roughly and I was in hospital for a DKA then so I know what a DKA can do and is like and they are not good for you and not much fun as you feel it for the next couple of weeks after it as it takes a while to get over it and in the hospital it took 4 doctors to realise that Type 2 diabetics can have a DKA as well and not only a Type 1 who have them now

Reactions: filly