Weight Gain

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am currently between 26-28 weeks pregnant and I have gained a whopping 38 pounds already!! I was quite skinny before my pregnancy, and this weight gain is killing me. My ob constantly points out, while my endocrinologist doesn't seem to worried about it. I am constantly treating lows and having to snack on fruit or peanut butter to avoid them. I have also increased my insulin intake so much that I know that can't be helping. Not only that, I have thyroid issues which can also have an effect on my weight even not pregnant. My ob is making me feel like a real cow, and I was just wondering if anybody else struggled with this because of the insulin increase and constant lows...

(The weird thing is, it really is all belly! My arms and legs are thin, but my belly sticks out super far! I attached a picture of what it looks like)

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1417886551.420638.jpg

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also, I am 26 weeks pregnant but ultrasounds show he is the size of a 28 week year old! That's why I put 26-28 weeks. :)

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HI Lindsay, I think you need to give yourself a break and ignore your ob. He/she sounds like a prat! You look like you're doing really well and if it's all on your bump then thats fine. You sound like you're doing what you can to get through this pregnancy the best for you and your baby. Just so you know, the recommended weight gain for people with a low BMI at the start of pregnancy is a lot more than that for women who are heavier at the beginning, women who are obese in fact should gain almost nothing so it's all in proportion.
I'm currently 29 weeks and to be honest haven't weighed myself as am too scared to see what's happened! Like you my bump is measuring a couple of cms more than the number of weeks I'm but that's all within normal range.
I hope you find this reassuring but not sure how much use it is.
Best wishes,
jess

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lindsay,

I am already have weight issues, I'm only 5 weeks pregnant and I have already gained 1/2 stone!! Recently I felt iv haven't been eating much, so I am baffled by my weight gain!
Your bump is so cute thou!
How much weight did you gain in the first 2 moths?
Xx

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am currently between 26-28 weeks pregnant and I have gained a whopping 38 pounds already!! I was quite skinny before my pregnancy, and this weight gain is killing me. My ob constantly points out, while my endocrinologist doesn't seem to worried about it. I am constantly treating lows and having to snack on fruit or peanut butter to avoid them. I have also increased my insulin intake so much that I know that can't be helping. Not only that, I have thyroid issues which can also have an effect on my weight even not pregnant. My ob is making me feel like a real cow, and I was just wondering if anybody else struggled with this because of the insulin increase and constant lows...

(The weird thing is, it really is all belly! My arms and legs are thin, but my belly sticks out super far! I attached a picture of what it looks like)

View attachment 8973

You look great! I wouldn't pay too much attention to your Ob - they do sound like a prat... And... Love the cat :D x

Bethgabs

Hi lindsay im also having the same problem but im quessing its from the larger insulin intake and i have a lot of hypos. With my first was the same :) but i didnt know i had thyroid untill my son was 8 months. Lost over
5 stone which i gained from having ny boy and lost more than i wanted to lol.
My point is i think its just easier for us to put it on and we cant help it:) url probs find itl drop off once ur little 1 is born
Take care :)

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Not sure if this is helpful but my
GF is an OBGYN and she treats a lot of gestational diabetes and T1s, she has told me that they really are focused even more so on tight BG control during pregnancies because of the dramatic reduction of complications and that babies with mothers who do not have good control often have babies with much large birthrates. Of course I'm a man with just a bit of knowledge about this subject so I am dangerous

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, everybody! Thank you so much for the replies! I started gaining a lot quickly too I felt. In the first two months I gained 10 pounds or a little more I think. I know it is due to having to treat so many lows. Now that I'm almost 28 weeks, I have had to up my insulin intake a lot for the food I eat too so I can keep my sugars in tight control (I've done pretty good with that!). That started at about 21 weeks. I've gained forty pounds (I'm 160 pounds total now, started the pregnancy at 120 pounds) and will be 28 weeks in three days. However, my baby is on the bigger side as well...he's already 3 pounds! He is completely healthy so I'm just getting really annoyed with them telling me how fat I am all the time, lol.

Lolli24

I've gained about 26kgs already!! I feel horrible and I'm only 19 weeks! But as long as my baby is ok it's fine! They said my BMI is now 32! Im worried about how much more I will put on and I'm having the same problem with lots of hypos and the double insulin intake! Xx