Weight Loss

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys so lately I lost around 5 kg due to high bg although I did everything I could. Only yesterday I realized that my bolus pens are expired since March 2018. I want to spread the awareness to check the expiry date of your pens right now. Glad I discovered this early I used 2 and a half pen out of 5. Also I'm glad I didn't fall into DKA.

D

Deleted Account

When I first read this, I didn't understand. But do you have pre-filled pens?
I always used cartridge filled pens and found the effort of changing the cartridge always made me look at the dates as I got towards the end of the box.

I have never understood pre-filled pens: I requested the cartridges when I was first diagnosed to reduce waste and never experienced any problems with changing cartridges in pens that last 6 or 7 years.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks that's a useful reminder for me as a pump user who keeps a stock of pre filled levemir pens and humalog cartridges for emergencies (luckily once a year). Will be ordering fresh supplies for the upcoming holiday. Glad that you did not go DKA!

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I first read this, I didn't understand. But do you have pre-filled pens?
I always used cartridge filled pens and found the effort of changing the cartridge always made me look at the dates as I got towards the end of the box.

I have never understood pre-filled pens: I requested the cartridges when I was first diagnosed to reduce waste and never experienced any problems with changing cartridges in pens that last 6 or 7 years.
It depends on the availability in different parts of the world and even within the same country. Regardless, both pens and cartridges have expiry dates.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks that's a useful reminder for me as a pump user who keeps a stock of pre filled levemir pens and humalog cartridges for emergencies (luckily once a year). Will be ordering fresh supplies for the upcoming holiday. Glad that you did not go DKA!
Thank you! Stay safe.