thank you alliebee
i am drinking alot already and paying the price by running to the loo alot

Reactions: 2 people

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Maybe you could eat 1 dozen nuts (almonds or walnuts being really good choices) between lunch and dinner. Though it's a small portion they are filling and might help with portion control for dinner.

Whilst nuts are fattening, in moderation they are OK.

C

catherinecherub

@ally,

You are doing all the right things and you haven't put on weight even though you may not have lost any. You should be proud of yourself as you have really got to grips with your control.

xgemmiex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aly

As you suggest you may have to exercise some portion control, particularly if you have been substituting fats for carbs. You need to watch total calories as well as total carbs. Luckily using something like myfitnesspal will do both for you at the same time.

Pavlos

I can't find myfitness pal - is it available for ipad?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't find myfitness pal - is it available for ipad?
Yes it is available for the iPad.

The name seems to have changed see below. If you look at top charts in the App Store for health and fitness category this is the no 1 ranked free app.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1413397973.503515.jpg

Hope this helps

Pavlos

Reactions: 3 people

alliebee

Ally I also used my fitness pal. My god was it an eye opener! Stuff I thought was ok ..well er. It wasn't!

I found after 3 weeks I had a good handle on it all...for example I loved beetroot ( I think you said you do as well). It was amazingly high for me...it was easy to get despondant because my mindset was still low fat low fat...but once I tried some nice carb free food like home made coleslaw. Lots of full fat helmans mayo. And a pickled onion or two. Ham slices spread with cream cheese rolled up for lunch. And read and read the thread " what did you est today". I finally got a handle. I'm in awe of you and how well you are doing girl xx

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what exercise you're doing but, if possible, I would increase that and go slowly slowly with the portion size. I say slowly slowly because I think you particularly find that aspect difficult to adjust. Do it gradually and increase your exercise. Walking is great and cheap. Good luck!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i admit that i do very little excercise:(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i admit that i do very little excercise:(

In the main, I'm pretty active, but when I was working on losing weight, I used to do things like deliberately not buy enough milk (for example) to last until my next usual shop, so that I would have to get out and buy some. I'd then ensure I walked or get on my bike to the nearest shop, rather than drive to the supermarket.

I know shopping in the corner shop can be expensive, but the odd carton of milk didn't feel too catastrophic.

Similarly, because in the tropics rubbish is not collected from each house; it's picked up from a central collection point, only a couple of hundred yards away, I'd take our rubbish each evening, once my OH had started cooking dinner. It only took 10 minutes or so, but all helped. In the end, if i didn't go I'd miss it; meeting all the other exercisers out doing their thing.

(The rubbish, although not collected from the doorstep, it is collected several times a day because of the heat.)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ally,

If you have to catch a bus to get to town or the shops, try getting off a stop early and walking the rest. Use stairs, not lifts. If you get in to a habit of walking for 30 minutes a day you will feel the benefit.

alliebee

Ally I can't excersise much because of ms. And my mobility isn't good but I do silly dances to music I like at home ( good job I live alone). And I have an excersise bike and I do a few mins slowly every few hours in front of the tv. I would give anything to be able to go for a nice walk today in beautiful autumn sunshine....