Type 2 Weird readings...

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
So... Control has been really good so far, suddenly something shifted in my levels and my morning levels flatlined below 5 and have been around 4.5-4.7 and tonight I measured 4.4 before eating and I thought for giggles after my OMAD today of two high meat bratwurst, tomatoes, mushrooms and three eggs along with some cheese that I would test two hours after. I got a big old 3.9 and that got me wondering if I missed a spike somewhere down the line?

I’m kind of idly musing at this point, I’m glad this is happening especially with me being down to 16 stone now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That all sounds brilliant to me. Blood sugars don't come down in a linear fashion, they come down in steps - drop, stick, drop, stick. Or that is how I found it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So... Control has been really good so far, suddenly something shifted in my levels and my morning levels flatlined below 5 and have been around 4.5-4.7 and tonight I measured 4.4 before eating and I thought for giggles after my OMAD today of two high meat bratwurst, tomatoes, mushrooms and three eggs along with some cheese that I would test two hours after. I got a big old 3.9 and that got me wondering if I missed a spike somewhere down the line?

I’m kind of idly musing at this point, I’m glad this is happening especially with me being down to 16 stone now.
Sounds like you are starting a "normalisation" process.. dead jealous of those numbers..
I got an FBG of 5.8 this morning! Might be coming down with something though...

M

Member496333

Seems to me that you’re just metabolically normal again. As you already know that you have plenty of adipocyte capacity, and that you’ve lost massive weight so far, it’s a reasonable assumption that your liver has ample storage in which to convert and stash away any unneeded circulating glucose. I recon you might want to consider a HOMA-IR test soon. Very likely to roll a good score. Well done.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’m proposing a strange theory here - could be total rubbish - for exogenous insulin users the heat can bring on improved insulin sensitivity. No idea if it also improves it for “normal” or type 2s relying on their own insulin, but maybe...

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having some days when readings are very weird also. Good to know that it's a sign that I am getting back to metabolically normal.

2 days ago my before lunch reading was 4.4. Tested 2 hrs after lunch still 4.4. Dropped to 4.1 and stayed there for hours.

I must admit that I didn't feel that good on 4.1. I didn't eat anything because I wanted to know if it would drop lower as I have a very active job. It didn't - but actually rose to 5.2 in the late evening when I finished work. If I was driving I would have eaten because I didn't actually feel OK to drive - luckily it was a Wednesday and husband always drives me home.

Interesting that my body didn't let me drop into hypo range - although it definitely felt like a hypo - although probably a false hypo.

Yesterday all day stayed in the 5s and this morning 4.6 fbs.

Reactions: Venkat K

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
That all sounds brilliant to me. Blood sugars don't come down in a linear fashion, they come down in steps - drop, stick, drop, stick. Or that is how I found it.
It's what I have found myself as well, might have to give things some extra checks now and then but this is encouraging! Thank you!

Sounds like you are starting a "normalisation" process.. dead jealous of those numbers..
I got an FBG of 5.8 this morning! Might be coming down with something though...
That sounds like it might be you coming down with something because yours have been fantastic for a very long time. I hope it's that but am I ever going back to processed food? Nope! I just hope things resolve for you soon.

Seems to me that you’re just metabolically normal again. As you already know that you have plenty of adipocyte capacity, and that you’ve lost massive weight so far, it’s a reasonable assumption that your liver has ample storage in which to convert and stash away any unneeded circulating glucose. I recon you might want to consider a HOMA-IR test soon. Very likely to roll a good score. Well done.
You know I was thinking of doing that once it hit December time and I hit the one year mark of getting the kick up the rear I did in regards to diabetes. Thanks for the encouragement there and seems like I do after such a drop in weight. Rather keep to lower numbers on all sides than risk going back to a terrible diet though.

I’m proposing a strange theory here - could be total rubbish - for exogenous insulin users the heat can bring on improved insulin sensitivity. No idea if it also improves it for “normal” or type 2s relying on their own insulin, but maybe...
That could be the figure of it as well as it seems like things are getting quite a bit warmer around here but to confound that when I was up in t'north in Newcastle I was getting similar numbers. It really is a surreal condition to manage isn't it? I appreciate the insight! Never knew that actually.

I am having some days when readings are very weird also. Good to know that it's a sign that I am getting back to metabolically normal.

2 days ago my before lunch reading was 4.4. Tested 2 hrs after lunch still 4.4. Dropped to 4.1 and stayed there for hours.

I must admit that I didn't feel that good on 4.1. I didn't eat anything because I wanted to know if it would drop lower as I have a very active job. It didn't - but actually rose to 5.2 in the late evening when I finished work. If I was driving I would have eaten because I didn't actually feel OK to drive - luckily it was a Wednesday and husband always drives me home.

Interesting that my body didn't let me drop into hypo range - although it definitely felt like a hypo - although probably a false hypo.

Yesterday all day stayed in the 5s and this morning 4.6 fbs.
Getting nothing but thumbs up from me there, seems that you are on the right track to getting back to metabolically normal and I am impressed. I think we tend to think of numbers as being too binary sometimes, I do it myself and I think that I have failed myself these days when I go over 5 for crying out loud when most normal people get something above them. Probably did get a false hypo, I will admit prior to this I was feeling a bit 'whooshy' at times but it passed by as I got used to it so I may have been having the same till my body hit some sort of homeostasis. I do hope things continue like this for you though!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Caeseji - I too really hope things continue to go well.

Today, apart from a 4.6 this morning I have flatlined around 5.2 all day - even after food. So the very low numbers have disappeared for now. Although, actually, flatlining in the low 5s hopefully still shows that I am on the way to becoming metabolically normal.

I also don't like numbers in the 6s and feel that I have failed. Although, as you said in your post, most 'normal ' people get something above them.

I have been low carb and keto for over 3 years now and haven't once deviated from it as it is highly likely that I had diabetes for around 20 years prior to diagnosis and I really want to give.my metabolism the best chance I possibly can to recover from the damage caused by T2D - no matter how long it takes.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know I was thinking of doing that once it hit December time and I hit the one year mark of getting the kick up the rear I did in regards to diabetes. Thanks for the encouragement there and seems like I do after such a drop in weight. Rather keep to lower numbers on all sides than risk going back to a terrible diet though.
Order early! I only allowed a week and the tests kit turned up several days after the blood test meaning I missed the anniversary checks and now have to wait 3 months.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Caeseji as I was typing my post I started to feel weird again and was really struggling to write a post that made sense - so tested BS and it is now 4.2. So maybe the really low readings are continuing.