Weird spike with two different meters, but not Libre

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Just before lunch today I did my usual pre-prandial test on my TEE2 and got a whopping 9.5 despite not having had anything since breakfast (normally I'm around 5-6 before lunch). I had some suspicions that my new batch of test strips may have been damaged on delivery (some loose silica gel in the tube) so I tested a different finger on my CareSens meter - this time 10.4!

My Libre was showing a solid 5.5 ( it runs about 0.5 low so really a 6) the whole time. It's been pretty constant the last half hour or so since.

I've just retested about 10minutes later on my TEE2 and I'm at 6.5 which is a lot more normal.

Anyone got any ideas? It seems so unlikely that I'd get two errant readings from different meters, but also unlikely that the Libre wouldn't pick up a big jump like that as this one has been v well behaved so far.

D

Deleted Account

Could be something as simple as something on your fingers.
Even some soap/hand wash can affect BG reading.

Reactions: AlexMagd

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've noticed a few times with libre if I scan and get, say, a 5ish, then shortly after get an 8 then a short while later 5ish. The errant one doesn't show on the graph because it is constructed from averages over 15 minutes. I wonder sometimes whether it's maybe just that glucose isn't that evenly distributed in either blood or interstitial fluid, so maybe the outlier just happened to be a more sugary drop of blood or fluid than it's neighbours. Have no idea whether that's the case, just a thought.

Reactions: AlexMagd