weird thing happen after eating a cherry pie...ideas?

dm2-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, i am following a time-restricted eating pattern with low carb. I started with a window for eating of 10 hours, progressively to only 6 hours. It seems to work quite well, perhaps worked too well :)

Yesterday, after a nice bout of exercise, I tested myself, I ate like too much cherry pie -way above the 75grams of carbs of the diabetes test (It was like 200grams, 100 grams of carbs).

I had the freestyle libre continuous glucose monitor, and was willing to walk as soon as finishing.

But I was tired from exercise. So, I took a soft nap for 20 minutes. I focused on a deeeep relaxation. Glucose did not go up.

Then I waited for another 20 minutes, willing to go out as soon as I saw the glucose going up. NOTHING.

I continue relaxing, with a sort of internal satisfaction that my digestion was so slow. An hour later, a very small peak, like 20 points more. I tested with stripes and it was a very similar value than the libre. Today the libre is still working fine.

To finish: the freestyle libre only showed a peak of 20mg/dL or 1 mmol/L. For the next three hours, it was not peak at all.

Is that possible? I mean, I know that whenever the sympathic system is turned off, glucose might go down, but that much??????

Have anyone else have a great day without clear explanation?

Reactions: Snapsy and ziggy_w
D

Deleted Account

It may be an affect of the "nice bout of exercise" which would make your insulin more effective and, thus, keeping your BG down. This may be injected insulin (if you take any) or the insulin your body produces.

I often have to eat after a heavy exercise session and not take any insulin (I am t1 so usually inject/pump when eating any carbs) to maintain my BG and avoid hypo.

As I understand it, the carbs we eat either go into our blood (and raise our BG) or liver as storage. When we exercise, our liver kicks out lots of sugar to give use the energy we need. As a result, post heavy or prolonged exercise, our liver stores are low. Therefore, much of the carbs we eat next go to top up our liver supplies instead of raising BG.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, i am following a time-restricted eating pattern with low carb. I started with a window for eating of 10 hours, progressively to only 6 hours. It seems to work quite well, perhaps worked too well :)

Yesterday, after a nice bout of exercise, I tested myself, I ate like too much cherry pie -way above the 75grams of carbs of the diabetes test (It was like 200grams, 100 grams of carbs).

I had the freestyle libre continuous glucose monitor, and was willing to walk as soon as finishing.

But I was tired from exercise. So, I took a soft nap for 20 minutes. I focused on a deeeep relaxation. Glucose did not go up.

Then I waited for another 20 minutes, willing to go out as soon as I saw the glucose going up. NOTHING.

I continue relaxing, with a sort of internal satisfaction that my digestion was so slow. An hour later, a very small peak, like 20 points more. I tested with stripes and it was a very similar value than the libre. Today the libre is still working fine.

To finish: the freestyle libre only showed a peak of 20mg/dL or 1 mmol/L. For the next three hours, it was not peak at all.

Is that possible? I mean, I know that whenever the sympathic system is turned off, glucose might go down, but that much??????

I find that saur/tart cherries do not affect my BG at all.i eat them for desert with mixed nuts and cream or yogurt

Reactions: dm2-one

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only

@dm2-one

Did you have any full cream or full fat yoghurt on your pie? If so, that would have helped massively in reducing any spike from the carbs.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dm2-one

Did you have any full cream or full fat yoghurt on your pie? If so, that would have helped massively in reducing any spike from the carbs.
Thanks for your reply ,33% cream or home made yogurt form same cream .but only mixed nuts no pie

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dm2-one

Eating fat with your carbs does nothing to reduce the effect of the carbs you have eaten. Carbs are still carbs no matter what you eat with them.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eating fat with your carbs does nothing to reduce the effect of the carbs you have eaten. Carbs are still carbs no matter what you eat with them.
I disagree here, if i eat a low fat yoghurt the spike is much greater than if I eat a full fat yoghurt, fat DOES slow the absorption of carbs x

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Nidge247

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only

@slinkimalinki

I prove most Sunday's that intake of fats at the start of a meal will greatly reduce any BG increase from taking on an 'excess' of carbs;

I often take friends out for a meal at our local tea rooms. I start with a cheese salad (this is around 50% made up of 4 different cheeses and is a 'decent size'. It allows me to have not only a small portion of homemade chips, but also some peaches and double cream (yes, fat again to reduce the sugars in the peaches and syrup), and finally home made scone with jam and (yes you've guessed it) whipped double cream.

I used to have to take 7 units of insulin to cover this very same meal, though I was then having a ham salad instead of a cheese salad. In those days my BGs would shoot from mid 6's to 11 or 12 without it.

Now with my lchf lifestyle, I know how to accommodate carbs when an occasional treat, as I reduce my BGs over the day to around 4.8 using diet and exercise, two hours after the meal my BGs will have risen to around 6.5 and come down steadily thereafter. (No insulin needed at all.)

Once you understand how your body uses food ie carbs v fats, you can be creative in using one to balance the other when you want a break from the usual diet. Don't let diabetes rule you; just take it in hand and prove that there is always 'another way' to beat what in the first instance seemed an impossible task.

I do acknowledge that what works for me, will not work for everyone. Also if taking on extra carbs in any form, I do increase my exercise later that day to avoid increasing my weight - all good so far . My usual daily intake of carbs is around 30-50g.

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm so confused just had bad chest infection antibiotics no appetite still taking insulin but having small glass of fruit juice levels staying quite high now better levels going too low trying too keep weight down stomach gets quite bloated

dm2-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks @Pura Vida @helensaramay , @Nidge247 for your comments. The pie I ate was without any extra fat. Mostly sugars, a bit of protein and fat. I realized now that my body likes a combination of fructose (fruits) and glucose (wheat flour are long-chains of glucose). I read a paper about that long time ago, but it seems that pie hit the sweet spot.

I think it also helped I was taking a supplement of omega-3, 1600mg. It is the only factor that is new.