deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hey guys!
I use the Accu Chek Spirit Combo pump and for the last 3 changes, my tubes have gone kind of pink/red even though there's no blood anywhere - check photo (specially where the catheter is inserted) - do you guys have any ideia what could be happening? I'm really puzzled

IMG_7181.jpg

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @deborabaratto, This is strange indeed.
Some thoughts: could there have been a small blood vessel puncture caused by an inadvertent tug on the tubing causing a small amount of blood pushing up into the tubing and ? the insulin (what type) causing some breakdown of the blood to give the pink colour ? I have not heard of such a situation but checking out the brand of insulin you use in your pump may be worthwhile, particularly if it is an insulin new to you.
Could there be a residue of some sort in the tubing from manufacture? I would be suggesting you ring Roche help line to check that out.
Also was there any skin cream on your skin where the needle(s) went in,? could some colourant from the cream have passed through the needle into the tubing?
Best Wishes -

Reactions: deborabaratto

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the same thing when i first started on my pump, was v worrying but turned out to be the colouring from my red nightie!!!

Reactions: Struma

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I had the same thing when i first started on my pump, was v worrying but turned out to be the colouring from my red nightie!!!
So it sounds like some of the dye from the nightie stayed on the skin! Well done, Sherlock Holmes !!!

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hi @deborabaratto, This is strange indeed.
Some thoughts: could there have been a small blood vessel puncture caused by an inadvertent tug on the tubing causing a small amount of blood pushing up into the tubing and ? the insulin (what type) causing some breakdown of the blood to give the pink colour ? I have not heard of such a situation but checking out the brand of insulin you use in your pump may be worthwhile, particularly if it is an insulin new to you.
Could there be a residue of some sort in the tubing from manufacture? I would be suggesting you ring Roche help line to check that out.
Also was there any skin cream on your skin where the needle(s) went in,? could some colourant from the cream have passed through the needle into the tubing?
Best Wishes -

I've been using NovoRapid for a while now.
But that's a great idea, I'll tottaly call Roche to check with them!

Thanks a lot :)

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers

I thought abou that too!! But it occurred 3 times now, and I only have one red/pink T-shirt that I didn't use for a while know

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I thought abou that too!! But it occurred 3 times now, and I only have one red/pink T-shirt that I didn't use for a while know
Back to the drawing boards as they say. So see what Roche has to say. Fingers crossed !!

Reactions: deborabaratto