welcomed to the world of type 2 diabetes

vonster77

Good morning,
I am not sure what I should be writing, I think I am just going to ramble on and feel sorry for myself for a few minutes. I also know people will tell me off and tell me to stop wallowing, and I am sure I shall after a few minutes.
My problems started way before being diagnosed!! Admitedly I am obesely over weight for my somewhat 35 years of age but 6 mths ago I was diagnosed with a DVT. After more medical appointments in 3 months than I have ever had in my total lifetime i was pursuaded to get a blood test as both my parents were type 2 diabetics. Had the tests and due to the wonderful gene pool I am linked to I was diagnosed mid november with diabetes. Not to be out done, we had to persuade my older sister to get tested and wouldn't you know it - 4 out of 4 !!!!!
I have to admit I am a little disillusioned and mortifyed - i am on my 2nd bout of differnt tablets as none agree with me, all have side effects that are not pleasant! but i thought my blood sugars would come down instead of being 12.4 (tested on my dads machine as I was told not to monitor my bloods for at least 3 months) I think the diabetic clinic wanted the tablets to be in my system for that long, but considering non agree with me I am at a loss on how to reduce this down.
There are too many differing opinions - eat carbs/cut carbs out, test blood reg/ dont test blood, cut out all sugar/ eat a balanced diet.... i never realised how much of a life style change this would be!! :crazy:
May be I am looking for infinate wisdom, or somone just to tell me that things will settle and this is normal!! I do not know, but the few things I am certain of are ... apart from the dvt, high cholestrol diabetes and as of 3 days ago a broken toe!!! (shoot me) things could be worse!! and that I am not alone!!
ok wallow and self pity have now left the building - and tiredness resumes :roll:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Vonster and welcome to the forum :)
I think most of us felt how you felt - it is a terrific shock at first, but it soon gets better as you get used to it and start getting your levels down and making progress.

To help you sort out the varying information you have been given, here is the information we give to new members. If you follow this you should see your levels improve.

I think they are wrong to tell you not to test - if you want to control your levels you need to see how what you eat affects your levels. Since they won't give you testing equipment at the moment you will have to provide it yourself. Meters are usually obtainable free from manufacturers but try to choose one where the strips are cheaper as that's where the real expense (and their profit!) lies.

Testing just before, and 2 hours after a meal will show you which foods you can safely eat, which you have to eat smaller portions of, and which foods you will unfortunately have to cut out. You will find that you need to reduce carbohydrates in general, not just sugary foods in spite of what some people have told you. Ask as many questions as you like as there is always someone here who can help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Grazer

Hi Vonster, don't over-wallow, you'll be fine! :thumbup: Your one-off reading of 12 doesn't mean much - what did you eat? what was it BEFORE you ate? When did you test? You need to follow a regular routine as Daisy suggests to establish how you respond to different foods. You won't get your blood sugars (BGs) down instantly, but a focus on what you eat will get you there quicker than you think. Forget the "don't eat carbs /do eat carbs" arguments; there's only one correct answer. If you want to reduce your sugar levels, you need to reduce the things that cause them - the starchy carbs. No argument. Testing will show you how MUCH you need to reduce them. Follow Daisy's advice - it's good advice.

Unbeliever

Grazer is perfecly correct! Ypu WILL be fimne Vonster. Better than you were before.
Don't expect miracles instantly.
I canunderstand ,in a way, why they might not want you to test immediately in your case - other health problems ppossible interactions with other meds but 3 months is too long.
You won't understand how to use that to best edffect immediately either so sooner you start tesing he better.
Unfortunately some of the diabetes drugs do have sisde effects but hese wear off so be a little patient with them. If you have had problems with metformin , for example did they try you on the slow release version ? They don't always do that automatically , often you have to ask.
I would try not to think too much about the gene pool. At least you have been diagnosed at an early age with plenty of time to reverse the sympoms.
My diabetes has a high genetic influence too..They tell me I have probably had it since I was your age but it was only diagnosed shortly before I was 60.
That was because I have always been slim.and lead a healhy lifestyle/ Although I had symtoms from time o time they were always disnmissed by the drs despite my family history and would disappear after a time. The pancreas does not deteriorate at an even pace but they di not seem to know that.

I was also the despair of the drs and nurses because there were no quick fixes. They couldnt ell me to lose weight stop smaking or drinking or change my diet.

If you need to do any of these things then you WILL see quicjk results . There is a hread on here "aAnother plus due to diabees" where several of the newly diagnosed post about their positive experiences. Take a look.

If you cut your starchy carbs you can't help bu lose weight and improve your sugar levels. If you can manage some exercise when your oe is beter this will speed the process.
You have more than one resason to make some changes. take the advice above from Daisy and Grazer. I wish I had had such good advice when first diagnosed.

le us know how you get on. You are entitled to a little wallow but, at your age I would try to see it more an opportunity to turn things around so that you can enjoy a long and healthy life
Getting a meter and strips and learning how to use it best will put you in control
Good luck!

vonster77

thanks guys for the advice and encouragement.
I did the test forst thing in the morning - albeit after a night of a birthdya meal in an indian restaurant - so as you cna imagine chapatis, rice etc etc enough said.
as for the drugs - i was on normal metformin for 4 weeks... bad bad side affects i wont bore you with, then trying now slow release, have been fine for 2 weeks on that (increased to 2 tabs a day on 1st jan) - last 4 days, have felt a hungry/sick feeling in my stopmach that nothing woudl clear, not food or water. it would aliviate it for 10 mins then return, so kept snacking on somthing or drank water to aleviate it for 10 - 20 mins. so as nurse said, if had any side affects go back to 1 tab a day, whihc i have done and since then i ahvent had any of the hunger/sick feelings. will give it another day and increase again, jsut in case there was a bug i picke up - but will see....
jsut to make you laugh - after all teh ailments mentioned... gues who walkied into the toilet door in a restaurant and then kicked the front door with her bad foot!!!! OMG i need shooting! night all and thanks again :crazy: