What a year!

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On the 24th of this month it will be a year since the doctors at the hospital uttered those words that turned our lives upside down completely. Words that will stay with us for the rest of our lives.

Walking into the hospital that morning we didn't know how seriously ill our daughter was, especially when she told them it was inconvenient for her to have another blood test as she was missing her reading session at school!

I remember sitting in the hospital that night watching my daughter sleeping, not knowing how I was going to cope with everything we had been told that day, I felt like our whole world was falling apart.

After 2 nights in hospital we were allowed to come home, come home with loads of information to read, come home with medication that I'd never heard of before that week, come home with a whole new way of looking after our daughter.

At first we were scared to leave the house, we were scared to let her out of our sight, we were scared of the unknown.

As the weeks turned into months everything became second nature, everything just seemed to fall into place. Yes we've had our ups and downs and way too many tantrums to mention but we've survived.

We've survived because of our wonderful nurses, we survived because of scout leaders who encourage our daughter to take on the 3 mile hikes just like the other scouts, we survived because of dance teachers that push our daughter harder so she competes in competitions, takes part in parade days and majorette exams, we survived because of the advice and support received on this forum, we survived because we are a family that supports each other through the good times and the bad.

Just when we think we have just about got the hang of everything, something else pops up to say 'hello'.

Today we received a letter for admittance to hospital for a Biopsy. Today all the fears that have faded away over the past year have raised their ugly head. Today we are yet again about to face the unknown.

Who knows what the year ahead will bring but one thing is for sure, as a family we will not let Diabetes and Coeliacs get the better of us

Reactions: Type1asem

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Ellie's mum . 27yrs ago I was diagnosed. My T1 has made me a stronger, more caring, more understanding and better person. Diabetes can be negative but only if you let it.
Sounds like you and your daughter are extremely positive and to that end your daughter will be a winner.
Good luck.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Ellie's mum
I will just say ................ be strong !! and big hugs for all of you [[[[[[hugs]]]]]]

I had a rubbish 2016 with an added hypothyroid and prostate cancer diagnosis